htaccess to improve performance and page speed scores

So, eventhough it's currently empty - I just copy/paste all of the contents from OPs first post and test if it's any better or if I get any errors?

Should I change anything or is copy/paste sufficient? I'm thinking I can't do much harm, since the current .htaccess file is empty. If anything stops working, I just delete the contents of the .htaccess file and I'm back to where I started, right?

I've noticed there are several other .htaccess files in other folders:

XShGxsU.png

I should probably leave these unchanged?

@Tarun - you got that performance boost just by adding those lines to the root .htaccess?

My .htaccess file is completely empty - is this normal?

Yes I did. You can download the pre-made .htaccess file and make the necessary edits as you wish. Simply upload it to your forums root. But as a bonus, the speed boosting lines will also work with other CMS softwares and webpages.

I tried this and gtmetrix says I went from 58% to 85%. Pageloads felt quite faster too ... for a while. I think it's just behaving differently. The page is blanke a couple of seconds and then it appears all of a sudden.

I'm in contact with my hosting provider. There seems to be a CPU issue - only my account on the server keeps reaching the CPU limit ... They're looking into it.

Archived