have I been doing it wrong this whole time?

Ocean West

When ever I upgrade every so often i would get the message, something like:

Please manually run the following queries before continuing: 
ALTER TABLE forums_posts DROP INDEX post;

with a big continue button.

In the past hitting continue would do just that go on to the next step.

In RC6 it would NOT continue so i copied that text and dropped it in to the SQL tab of phpMyAdmin and to 1 second to complete then the continue button worked.

So hitting this Continue button DOES NOT constitute the manual run of the query; and we are suppose to log in to phpMyAdmin and run the query from there!?

If so perhaps this is why post installs there are flaky bits because the needed queriers indeed were never ran on the tables.

-

Please revise this screen to outline the proper procedures and instructions as someone who has been doing this for a while it really didn't dawn on me until just now.

From memory its only if you choose to manually run queries or if the database is deemed to be too large to risk running the query via the browser. I seem to recall if there were over 100k posts (perhaps more) it would stop and ask you to do it manually.

To answer the question, yes the upgrader is asking you to run this query manually typically at the command line rather than phpmyadmin etc. :)

Was there no message similar to "your posts table is over x etc so you may wish to run these queries manually" etc ? I seem to think there is or was a message on this.

Its been a while since I did an upgrade on a large community (most of them I do are relatively small so I usually let the web interface do it)

Usually anything suggesting to be "manually" done means that the automated tool (the upgrader in this case) cannot or is suggesting not to perform the task. So you the human should take over and perform it ;) 

Exactly - but when the upgrade paused wanting me to "manually" run the query I hit the "continue" button -
in the past it never squawked and just continued on - which only reinforced the thought (erroneously) that I was actually "manually" running the query.

Exactly - but when the upgrade paused wanting me to "manually" run the query I hit the "continue" button -in the past it never squawked and just continued on - which only reinforced the thought (erroneously) that I was actually "manually" running the query.​

Can be a whole bunch of things, from they trusted or weren't checking that you ran the query and you were able to continue or they didn't see it as mission critical to check; such as deleting an unused/old column. 

The one you finally hit that didn't allow you to "continue" probably was critical of some nature so it didn't let you "continue."  Either way now and you know and hopefully won't have any issues/helped others ;) 

Archived