Option to limit how many posts will display in a specific forum [4.0 suggestion]

Eric Allione

One make-everybody-happy feature that you can add would be to include an option to limit the number of posts per forum page that will overwrite the global setting assigned from "Topics, Posts, and Polls".

The main problem that this would address is with media-heavy forums that list several videos. Dedicated server or not, these are often going to crash and take an unreasonable amount of time to load with 20+ videos on one page.

However, if I could go to a music forum in my ACP and select an option to set its specific number of posts per forum page to 5 or 10, then I wouldn't have to worry about request timeouts or people giving up and bouncing.

If there is already a way to do this please tell me how and I sincerely apologize.

However, since each of my threads are set to show 30 posts, my current solution is to lock all music threads once they hit 10 videos, and then use internal links to reference the various locked music threads. Please tell me that you agree this is not ideal.

Yes, that's what I was referring to when I said:

include an option to limit the number of posts per forum page that will overwrite the global setting assigned from "Topics, Posts, and Polls".

I have it set to 30 there. I like being able to view 30 posts on each page, I just want the "post per forum page" limit to be about 5 on threads which use a lot of videos. But surely it's not ideal to have to compromise every single forum on my board just so that one music/video thread won't crash!

I know you weren't suggesting that, just wanted to state the obvious in general.

Archived