Security improvement idea

Wolfie

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have made a suggestion for a feature that you feel would be of benefit to the IPS core suite. I do not feel your suggestion would be of benefit to the IPS core suite.

Therefore in your eyes, I am a controlling person because I disagree with you.

There is a difference between saying that you don't believe an idea would be beneficial, and saying that since it wouldn't benefit you that you are against it. Having the opinion that it wouldn't be beneficial, with realistic examples to demonstrate your point, that would be an opinion worth considering. But to say, "it wouldn't be beneficial to our community" and because of that, to be opposed to it being added, is the same as saying, "I don't want it added unless it will benefit ME." That is why I say you are a controlling person, because your approach is that it should be based on whether or not it benefits you, not whether or not it would benefit anyone. If it could only beneficial for only a handful of clients, then yes, I would agree that it would be best as a 3rd party add-on. But this can be beneficial to all communities, it would just come down to whether or not it gets used.

Wolfie give it up. It is not your way or the highway.

I find it rather interesting that I'm the one being told that I'm acting like it's "my way or the highway", yet I'm not the one trying to control what others would have the ability to do.

Think of it like this. Let's say that this were to be included in version 4, with it being defaulted to off. You don't have to use it unless you want to. If you don't use it, it's no different than if you do, other than the fact that those features wouldn't be active. Where is your community being hurt by this feature being available? That's 'MY way' as you put it.

Here is 'YOUR way'.. "Don't add it because I wouldn't use it so no one else should either." Um, what if there are a lot of people that would make use of the feature if it were included? Your way is that they have no choice because it's not available. So if anyone is saying that it's "their way or the highway," it's not me.

Honestly though, as asked, where would your community be getting hurt if the feature is available? If you don't enable it, then it doesn't affect your community at all, so I'm really lost on why a handful of people are so against it to the point of not wanting anyone to have the option of using it.

Actually I really don't care a wit whether they add it or not. Now your dipping into mind reading.

That's interesting, since you've been putting down the idea as though it has no value since page 1. If you didn't really care, then why not something along the lines of "I wouldn't use it but others might." instead of acting like it's a worthless idea or accomplishes nothing? It's not mind reading, it's a matter of deduction.

That's interesting, since you've been putting down the idea as though it has no value since page 1. If you didn't really care, then why not something along the lines of "I wouldn't use it but others might." instead of acting like it's a worthless idea or accomplishes nothing? It's not mind reading, it's a matter of deduction.

So what? Can I only give my opinion if I am against something? I am out of this conversation: I don't care to discuss with someone who just wants to be contrary.

Drama drama drama.

As your not making any sense, and guessing what people may or may not do, I am out of this aimless conversation.

I haven't even bothered to read 80% of this thread. But I don't really see why this has turned into a 5 page long heated argument.

If you believe this is the ultimate security , then why not develop it yourself or have someone develop it ?

I never said it would be the ultimate security. I said a security improvement. It's got good merits that should be built into the core. Optional to use, of course.

Archived