Why are post options in a sidebar rather than under the post box?

grinler

I just switched from 3.1.4 to 3.4.2, so as you can imagine quite a bit of changes. One of the changes we had some complaints about was why the post options were added to a sidebar next to the post box when creating replies.

Mileage may vary, but I for one rarely use those settings and all it does is take up space that could be used by the post box instead. Wouldn't it make more sense to place it under the post box where it would take very little space in one line?

I think the fact that they are little used just justifies them being off to the side even more. Most times I am on that page, I want to write a topic title (if starting a new topic), then my post, then submit. I can do all of that by just going down the page, and I have as little fluff (extra, unneeded options) as possible on my path to the submit button.

Fair enough. I see what your saying, but then again we have all that wasted space next to the Attach files section. Maybe it would make sense to move those side bar options there?

For me the post options in the side are fine because I have a high screen resolution. As you get to lower resolutions, though, the options can take up a significant portion of space.

• 2 months later...

I actually miss the emoticons being there... :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm new to IPB.... I have been searching for the last 5 hours on how to get emoticons to render at the side of the edtior.

I've seen screenshots of IPB with this layout... (I'm running 3.4.3) and based on your comment they must of changed this recently. All I can say is that I am amazed they would collapse all the smilies into a a button and renders a footer of smilies beneath the editor.... please tell me this is fixable or even mod-able, it is frustrating not having them on the right!!!!!

Archived