Another security hole lurking?

sinip

After applying the latest security fix, and after a week or so of no reports in SQL error log, this kind of errors started to pop up since 30th of December:

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 21:47:25 +0000 Error: 2002 - Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) IP Address: 66.249.75.188 - /topic/37865-harvestrade5-harvestrade5com/ ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- .--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 21:47:27 +0000 Error: 2002 - Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) IP Address: 180.76.6.20 - /topic/4108-faronic-deep-freeze/page__st__-20__p__6077 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- .--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 21:47:33 +0000 Error: 2002 - Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) IP Address: 180.76.5.193 - /topic/7660-easycashfund-easycashfundcom/page__view__getlastpost ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

None of the IPs recorded belong to any member of the forum, if that matters... Any comments on this?

This has nothing to do with security issues. I am very curious to know how did you reach that conclusion.

Better safe than sorry, don't you think? I wasn't sure so I've asked. Now that I KNOW it is my host's SQL issue, we can all relax... Thanks for quick response.

Better safe than sorry, don't you think? I wasn't sure so I've asked. Now that I KNOW it is my host's SQL issue, we can all relax... Thanks for quick response.

I agree about better safe than sorry part, but that does not mean that one has to panic for every issue that one's board will run into imho. Like that it might panic other users too who do not have the tech knowledge to know that the error is not hack related but a tech issue. I think it would be better to first do some research before crying wolf :D

Archived