Rework moderator permissions

avro

A major weakness in IPB is the control you have over what forum moderators and super moderators can and cannot do.

My vBulletin boards have different levels of moderation and I cant replicate this functionality with IPB. I cant give all my moderators super mod access as I dont want junior moderators to be able to delete or edit posts and threads.

If I make my junior moderators a forum moderator, they dont have full access to the ModCP, which I would like them to have.

In addition, if they dont have access to certain functionality, they should not even see the option.

Here are two such examples where they dont have access to certain functionality, yet they still see the option.

ccs-372304-0-59380500-1352596212_thumb.p
ccs-372304-0-93336400-1352596339.png
The best way to solve this is to allow full control over what a moderator can and cannot do and which options they have access to in the ModCP..

Moderator permission and super-moderator permissions seem to be limited and it would really be valuable to get a more granulated control over these permissions.
This would allow:
- more restrictive junior moderator settings (limit functionality and access)
- more liberal moderator settings (warn from member profile, but disallow hard delete)
- more restrictive supermoderator settings. (for example: disallow hard delete)

On many large boards there are multiple level of moderators, supermoderators and administrators.
Often this is along the lines of:
- junior moderator
- senior moderator
- super moderator
- administrator
- super administrator

Each level corresponds with a level of trust. Functionality should match the level of trust and limit risk of data destruction or access to sensitive data.
For example: I would not want junior moderators to have access to IP addresses, email addresses, or be able to merge topics, while I would want senior moderators to be able to.

Currently IPS does not seem to cater to this.

Here are two such examples where they dont have access to certain functionality, yet they still see the option.

The 2nd screenie was a bug we found as well and is fixed in 3.4 (hooray!), and the 1st screenshot was mentioned in our rant of the moderator tools. bfarber did mention that it would be considered.

If I make my junior moderators a forum moderator, they dont have full access to the ModCP, which I would like them to have.

Which parts are you trying to give them access to that they cannot access?

Moderator permission and super-moderator permissions seem to be limited and it would really be valuable to get a more granulated control over these permissions.

Agreed. IMO the whole moderating system is in need of a major overhaul.

The 2nd screenie was a bug we found as well and is fixed in 3.4 (hooray!), and the 1st screenshot was mentioned in our rant of the moderator tools. bfarber did mention that it would be considered.

Cool, I added both of those as bugs to the tracker.

Which parts are you trying to give them access to that they cannot access?

Everyrhing but the Announcements. I figured out how to give them access to the IP Tools, with a small modification. They have access to part of the Manage Members, but I have not figured out how to get the navigation header to show up.

post-372304-0-89853900-1352695411_thumb.

Archived