Searching needs significant improvement.

Makoto

The members app lets you do most of that, doesn't it?

http://community.invisionpower.com/members/#filters

Ahhh... thanks for pointing this out to me. I'm a recent vb convert and IMHO, there is a real interface problem. I guess my real question is why have a lousy advanced members search from the search menu and then have a filtered one only available from a button which is only available if you think to navigate to a page in the members section? Who would think it's not available directly from within the search functionality?

Regarding IP.C - that's more fun. I see something called "Pages" as opposed to "Articles". No user would think to search for a site article under "pages" which sounds more like someone's personal website page or profile, e.g. myspace page. But that isn't even the right section. Searching in Pages will not show your articles. You need to go to advanced search, then choose the "Pages" selection to show the advanced options at the bottom.... and then go to the bottom of search and change "Pages" to "Articles". That works. So you're searching "Pages" but not really because it's "Pages.... Articles" now although Articles is not really a subset of Pages. This is about as illogical a search methodology as I can imagine on its surface.

And from what I can see, there isn't a way to search articles by category - which should be a given. The only way to search IP.C articles by category is to actually navigate to a page within that category and then you get "Category:blahblah" in the search bar. I don't know why there isn't the same list generated as is generated within the forums area. And in addition, I also get a new dropdown search menu that now also lists "Articles" in addition to just Pages which doesn't appear in any standard search menu from anywhere on the site. This is really not good.

I'm going to see what I can do to change the search dropdown. Other than the basic functionality, it really needs a bit of an overhaul to improve the obvious, simple and efficient manner that search should display. IPB is really a tremendous piece of software but this is an area that really needs some work done on the front end UI.

To add to that,

Personally, I think the default search option should be "ALL" As most users searching for content, are unlikely to know which area of my community software to search! After all, you search for things because you cannot find it.

So when I search for "Cars", Anywhere that mentions Cars should return, whether this is in a blog, and article, or a topic.

I understand this may be a more intensive task for the server, but if you are going to give the search an overhaul for 4.0 then now would be the time to structure this in from the beginning to make it more efficient.

When the results return, a simple extra column stating which area of the community the result is from would be enough.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

​4.0.1 is not IPS4 official ?

​Not officially yet. 

Also in the feature plan i dont see any reference to what i originally wanted..To be able to search in the private forums...We will see i suppose

​If you have a licence you can search there. A active licence. 

Archived