Members from 180.7*.*.*

If i'm not mistaken, that is a chinese search engine indexing your board. If you have users in China, I would leave those alone... If you don't have any users from China, and don't intend on expanding there... Then you can .htaccess deny the IP ranges..

Jason had a nice post about it here.

Go into the sessions table view their session and delete it

Session table in the ACP or via the vps ? (i did check the acp, but nothing in the search box that seems to apply...)

If i'm not mistaken, that is a chinese search engine indexing your board. If you have users in China, I would leave those alone... If you don't have any users from China, and don't intend on expanding there... Then you can .htaccess deny the IP ranges..

Jason had a nice post about it

here

Thanks for that folks, something to look at. I appreciate it.

Just to follow up on this: I have no issue with search engines or Chinese, I do have issues with search engines hogging the board and wasting my resources. By simple banning that ip range I have freed up some 150mb of VPS ram. (Is it possible to restrict them to max sessions? - google for example only ever appears to have 5 sessions - same for bing. Baidu had over 80 sessions) Anyway thanks again for the pointers - and the link to Jasons post (Nice work Jason...), it was sufficient information for me to be able to explain in greater detail for folks with less working knowledge of VPS / IPB (aka the likes of me) So on your *nix (I'm on centos) vps open phpMyAdmin (typically www.yourserver.com/phpMyAdmin/index.php) login and visit ibf_sessions and sort by ipaddress. It will be evident if there are multiple IP's listed (be careful - if your board is popular with mobile broadband users, their IP addresses will be within the same range and might appear to be spammers) Once you have determined the rogue IP addresses, ssh to your vps, and ban that ip address or ip range. To ban a single address --> iptables -A INPUT -s 180.76.5.0 -j DROP To ban a whole subnet --> iptables -A INPUT -s 180.76.5.0/24 -j DROP (this nukes 180.76.5.0 to 180.76.5.255) You have to save iptables --> service iptables save You should restsart iptables --> service iptables save You should probably restart httpd --> service httpd restart I hope this helps someone, again thanks for the pointers.

Sorry the formatting got upset when I tried to fix a type. :wtf: ?

Baidu's IP addresses change from time to time so I've taken an alternative approach and denied the user agent for ALL sites hosted on my server by adding this to my Apache2 config:

# Block bad bots

SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent "^Baiduspider" bad_bots

SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent "^Sogou" bad_bots

SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent "^YandexBot" bad_bots

SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent "^YoudaoBot" bad_bots

SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent "^YodaoBot-Image" bad_bots

SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent "^Exabot" bad_bots

SetEnvIfNoCase Host "^clearpath.in" bad_bots

Order Allow,Deny

Allow from all

Deny from env=bad_bots

Just thought I'd offer it for anyone who is interested and who's using Apache. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Baidu's IP addresses change from time to time so I've taken an alternative approach and denied the user agent for ALL sites hosted on my server by adding this to my Apache2 config:

# Block bad bots

SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent "^Baiduspider" bad_bots

SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent "^Sogou" bad_bots

SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent "^YandexBot" bad_bots

SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent "^YoudaoBot" bad_bots

SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent "^YodaoBot-Image" bad_bots

SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent "^Exabot" bad_bots

SetEnvIfNoCase Host "^clearpath.in" bad_bots

Order Allow,Deny

Allow from all

Deny from env=bad_bots

Just thought I'd offer it for anyone who is interested and who's using Apache. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Good man Shaun.

Archived