Linux Server Admin Resources

This might have been asked but I can't find it (weak Jedi search skills).

Can folks recommend good resources for getting to grips with Linux server administration? (security, optimisation, permissions, etc)

Talking just the OS here, not Apache/MYSQL, etc.

I've found a few on Google myself but validating their accuracy with no background knowledge is difficult

Cheers

There are a few options in my opinion... you can either take some courses or you can teach yourself... if you go the teach yourself route, I would suggest you get an older pc, wipe it clean, setup centos/linux flavor of your choice, and start diving into it. There are many sites out there, but not one that is going to teach you everything you need to know. A good way to start is also reading a few good books on centos/linux. You need a basic understanding before diving in, there are so many people out there that setup and run a server, without having a clue, and this is nothing but a security risk for both their sites and also all the people on the internet. Just because you can install it and get it running, doesn't mean it's right or secure.

I don't think he's asking WHICH OS you'd recommend, but guides on administration of a Linux Distrubtion...

sure but the distrib is required if your going to give advice on good resources!

Anyhow I run 5.x CentOS and I knew nothing when I started running the server. Main reason was management costs would mean the site would run at a loss and although its not the "done thing" to run the server without much knowledge I learned pretty quickly and its a good value add as a webmaster.

http://www.securecentos.com/ - this is a good site to point you at different security areas; if you expand on each one and find why they are useful its a great start. webhostingtalk.com is amazing for help and advice as well as httpd.conf and my.cnf configuration which are essential to utilise memory / CPU. Also CPanel has auto update of scripts to make sure you are on the latest stable version... In addition install chart package like MRTG which will give you an idea of any spikes, disk I/O problems etc...

Archived