Has the 'Question and Answer Challenge' protection been hacked?

bpn

Last 3 days we have had lots of bot registrations. Luckily, so far, none have passed email validation.
Our forum is not in English or any other common language, so Q&A protection should be impossible to pass with bots.

Yes, I have done that now, but its unlikely that it's done by humans. I'm in western Europe, and the email addresses of our wannabe-members are from Russia and Poland.
Both questions and answers contained characters that's special to our language. If it was done by humans they would probably have completed the validation?

Given that you both write the questions and the answers for the Q&A challenge, it's impossible for it to be "hacked" by bots. There are only a few possibilities:

1) Your question/answer pairs have not changed in a while, and thus the questions and answers were added to automatic registration programs
2) A human filled in those parts of the registration form (people get paid like $.01 USD per registration form they complete in some third world countries)
3) Your questions/answers are common dictionary questions that bots can automatically parse and respond to

There are few other possibilities really, and I'd lean towards #1 or #2 being the most likely case. Try changing the questions/answers on your site.

I changed my Q & A challenge to include numbers - both typed out and spelled out so that you cannot add them up unless you understand some basic English. For example: "If you have 1 pen, two erasures, 4 pencils and one piece of paper, how many total pieces would you have?" The easterners would guess 5 since they see and add the 1 + 4. This has worked well for us.

Just make sure your possible answers are:
Five
five

or whatever your numeric value total is.

Archived