Spam member - too many steps

TheRingLord.com

May I suggest a more integrated solution for removing posts, banning someone, and deleting the reports. The current set up has too many steps and takes too much time.
My mods see the report - go the admin area and than have to click numerous buttons to go thru the entire process. Then they have to remember to go back and remove the reports.
What we do now:
1st part - ban member - with all features selected like IP, name move to banned user group etc. FYI having the link from the front page that give you info on the IP here would be very useful.
2nd part - flag as spammer - click back out of last screen and then go into another menu and flag as spammer
3rd part - remove posts - click back again and then go into the menu and remove the posts
4th step - delete the report - THIS STEP EASY TO MISS as you have to go back to the forum and individually confirm the reports were about that person and then delete them.
- this is bad as that means each mod then goes to to the job and finds some one else already has

I recommend:

1: have admin set up features that have default actions for what to do about spammers. These are not automatic just default preferences - For us it would be ban IP, ban name, move to deleted member group, flag member as spammer and delete their posts and topics.
2: report area - link to admin area for the person in question and have a 1 click "process and spammer button" OR just have a "process as spammer" button that does the steps in 1 AND deletes the report!

Also my members have commented that they noticed a glitch when reporting spam- you can't really tell when its reported easily. So they put a post in the thread that indicates it was reported. This post then has to be deleted. I suggest that a reported post changes format to something like an X thru the entire post and the word spam reported over top. This should be very obvious and will prevent numerous reports.

Thanks for the consideration.

I'm sure what you're saying is right but better to not allow spammers to join in the first place. If you have the Spam monitoring service, the stopforumspam hook and admin validation of new accounts you shouldn't be getting spammed. I don't on a busy forum.

3DKiwi

• 4 months later...

How about removing those existing members that got through when the spam service and email validation was not yet enabled in my forums? I could see a lot of invalid emails when I send an announcement to all my members and most of them sound like spam accounts. However, I could not find an easy way inside IPB to mass delete all those accounts that have invalid emails and definitely looks like spam accounts.

• 4 years later...
On 03/05/2011 17:45:02, TheRingLord.com said:

Also my members have commented that they noticed a glitch when reporting spam- you can't really tell when its reported easily. So they put a post in the thread that indicates it was reported. This post then has to be deleted. I suggest that a reported post changes format to something like an X thru the entire post and the word spam reported over top. This should be very obvious and will prevent numerous reports.

I wonder if this plugin might help because once someone has reported the content it is immediately hidden for moderation so that prevents multiple reports happening at least and the mods wont need to add the extra post about it being reported   https://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/7768-hide-content-on-report/

I am using it ( sites not active at mo but ive tried it out ) and its successful

Archived