Some error checking on the various XML imports

Michael

I get a lot of people who post for support on my resources who just tell me the thing isn't working, and upon investigating the issue with them I'm finding that they're importing the XML file in the wrong spot. People get used to importing hooks in the Manage Hooks section, so they think everything can get imported there. When they try to import a media tag there, it acts like it was successful, but shows nothing was actually imported.

Instead of showing that, could these pages where XML files get imported at do some basic checks to see if the file being imported is the correct type of file for that particular action? The code that is for setting up new hooks should be able to tell that the XML file it's looking at is for a media tag, not a hook, and should give a clear error message indicating that. The same should be done for each spot where you import XML files (settings, language, modules, etc.).

Or even better, a centralized system were all XML imports take place, instead of spreading them around the ACP. Should be possible to determine what sort of input it is by inspecting the parent tag in the XML.

This is a low-priority plan I have in place already.

Archived