Translating is hard

Axel Wers

Possibility to see what I am translating would be very appreciated. When I am translating I don't see which string will change words on public pages. Every string should have link to boards page where is translated word. It's hard to translate without this and it's very tiring. It's nightmare for me because every translating spends lot of time.

Possibility to see what I am translating would be very appreciated. When I am translating I don't see which string will change words on public pages. Every string should have link to boards page where is translated word. It's hard to translate without this and it's very tiring. It's nightmare for me because every translating spends lot of time.

tell me about it!

We need to know the context of a string before being able to translate it. Strings like: in, all, on are just hard to translate because we don't know the context :(

Strings like: in, all, on are just hard to translate because we don't know the context :(

Exactly. Without context it's almost impossible correct translation.

Or some words, little example with word comments

english vs. slovak

(View) comments - (Zobraz) komentáre
(Search in) comments - (Hľadať v) komentároch
(Sorting by) comments - (Zoradiť podľa) komentárov

• 11 years later...

Thankyou for your comment @Darth Vortex, I've taken a look at your article (automatically translated by google 😅) and regarding what you say in it I've already translated applications through the Invision translation interface. For "little translations" (such as a single application) it does the job. But I'm translating the full community from scratch, so the ~20'000+ strings. That makes a lots of strings I've no idea how they're used in the interface...

For example, I've just finished the calendar app, but after that I've taken a quick look on "how it looks", and there were a lot of fixes to do in order to keep consistency and make the words enter in the places they should... The fact I don't have the context where the strings are used makes translation very random... And it is not easy to make all use-cases run in order to check for all the strings possibilities... The problem is the same if you made a translation just from the front-end : you'll not access to all the strings that are needed to manage all possible cases. 

(I'm working on it since 4 days and I've not yet accomplished even 10% of the total strings translations !)

For the moment my best choice is to make a full translation and set it in our community at first time to make users test it and "see what happens"... But that's still an empiric (so a random) way of testing...

Edited by Dexter_X