Better Social Networking in forum?

Eduardo Bautista

I think the next step would be to improve some social networking features in the forum.

• Improve friends list. Make it so you have to approve to be their friend. Maybe make it friend only to write comments on your profile page? More facebook style.
  • Social Groups, again, I think it should be facebook style.

• Management

I think the next step would be to improve some social networking features in the forum.

• Improve friends list. Make it so you have to approve to be their friend. Maybe make it friend only to write comments on your profile page? More facebook style.

You can already do approve friends: http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=members

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/306451-pin-social-groups/

How is that progress? You're limiting people from discussions and that's the exact opposite of what forums are.

How so? If people want to keep certain discussions private, they'll find some way to do it. Yahoo! Groups is one example of how to do it. If people are going to do it, why not offer it as a service so that they do it in the community where they are more likely to post in the forums while they are there? If anything, your argument, when thought out, actually supports social groups rather than opposes them.

How is that progress? You're limiting people from discussions and that's the exact opposite of what forums are.

not at all - your forums might work with everyone in one group, but that doesn't mean that mine has to be the same as yours.

Take sport for example - not everyone supports the same football club - some support Manchester United others prefer Manchester City - those supporters would want to be part of the overall group 'Supporters', but would want to be part of their own group.

Society is very much about being in your own groups - the online experience should enhance what people are comfortable with.

We all use IPB software yet have different forums - this in itself is grouping, yet converge allows a number of forums to link together.

Archived