Member search in 3.1

Ryan H.

c.f. http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-21384-member-search/

For the lazy:

Searching "Members" searches profile comments by default, rather than the user list. It's not actually possible to search for a member at all without going through the advanced search form. If you search for "bfarber" under 'Members', for example, you're given a link to Brandon D's profile.

I'm just wondering... under what circumstances is searching profile comments useful at all? Most people don't exactly hold discussions there; even then, I can't think of a single reason why I would want to search for something in them. Generally, when I search 'members', I expect that it's actually going to be members that show up. :huh:

The way it's setup makes sense. The Members searches member profiles for information which would be statuses and things. If I need to search for a member specifically I'd go to the memberlist and use the Advanced Filters. I could see it being MORE useful if it chooses to search members names before member statuses.

The way it's setup makes sense. The Members searches member profiles for information which would be statuses and things. If I need to search for a member specifically I'd go to the memberlist and use the Advanced Filters. I could see it being MORE useful if it chooses to search members names before member statuses.

It doesn't, though. It doesn't search statuses ["ajax" would bring up Evanescence's recent status], it doesn't search interests, or location, or member title, or anything. Just comments on peoples' profiles.

That's what I'm saying--it should default to searching names instead of comments. It doesn't make sense to me the way it is.

That's what I'm saying--it should default to searching names instead of comments. It doesn't make sense to me the way it is.

I agree. My members will be confused by this and expect it to be search for a members name. If I ever wanted to search for profile comments then I think that this should be in the advanced settings.

If IPS doesn't change how this works then I'll have to edit the language string to make it say "Profile Comments" rather than "Members".

3DKiwi

• Management

Regarding statuses: Yes, this is very likely to be added.

Regarding defaulting to profile comments: If/when we add in status searches, this will be the default search. There will be a drop down at the top of the result page allowing you to switch to members or comments.

Archived