Suggest sign in method based on users browsing history

Bryan Sammers

Suggest sign in method based on users browsing history. Examples:

1. User has facebook cookie. "Sign in with your facebook account"
  2. Users browser referrer is from an openid website. "Sign in with OpenID"
  3. User has cookies from other boards with no sign in techniques. That means he is willing to register. "Sign in. Register on our website"
  4. User has no browsing history of any supported third party login page. "Sign in. Register on our website"

If I remember correctly, I think many browsers now prevent one site from accessing cookies of another site, so it may not even be possible (for #1 and #3).

Also, are you suggesting that if someone was referring from an OpenID site, that they not see other options for joining/signing in? Or are you suggesting that it the OpenID option if they weren't referred from an OpenID site? Either way, if a board wishes to allow OpenID, to hide options based on it would be counter productive.

This suggestion is about taking the users browsing history into consideration. Therefore the browsing history of the user is taken is viewed. You are correct!

It's like Google, they show you the language page regarding your browser and actual IP location.

Here you can also consider the other cookies set or the referer.

• Management

it's worth noting that "we" (that is PHP, Javascript, etc) cannot read cookies from any domain other than the one you are viewing.

We 'could' store a cookie based on your last log in, but as all the log in methods are one page, I'm not sure how you'd suggest one method over the other.

I am not familiar with cookies I thought I read something that its possible to check against if there are cookies available, and maybe you can not read them. Anyway, if I make a facebook ad campaign for my forum the referrer is from facebook.com and then it would be handy to have a "sign in with facebook" button. That's a more "in the future" suggestion. It popped into my mind and I wanted to share it here :)

Todays adsense tracks the doubleclick cookie and all pages you ever visited with an adsense ad. As far as I know that's true for more than a half year. So you get computer ads even if you are on disneys pages if you browse usually on computer pages.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/making-ads-more-interesting.html

They use one cookie to track you on all adsense pages - allover the internet. Its on the internet for a long time and every adsense publisher was noticed about it, every publisher can either activate or deactivate this feature.

• Management

I have no issue setting a "lastLogInMethod" cookie with "Facebook" as the value, I'm just not clear how we would "suggest" that as a log in method next time? If you log in via the FB button then it's right there on the log in page anyway.

• Management

There's no way to look at the browser's history. The referrer would only work if they clicked directly from Facebook into your community which would be rare. Seems like a lot of work for a small benefit :)

Besides I would encourage people to just register in my community. I wouldn't care through what method they registered so long as they do and participate in my community.

Archived