IP.Board ToS

Guest Mythotical

Guest Mythotical

I am thinking for anything in the ToS or agreement when you download IPB that states you agree to not use IPB as a means to promote any illegal software, digital or otherwise.

There is a site that has ripped off a game which they are placing online shortly for sale and using IPB as a means to promote the game and talk about it. So I just want to see if there is anything in that regards.

If someone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

[quote name='Mythotical' date='27 November 2009 - 05:02 PM' timestamp='1259359356' post='1882934']
There is a site that has ripped off a game which they are placing online shortly for sale and using IPB as a means to promote the game and talk about it. So I just want to see if there is anything in that regards.
Thanks

Is this not a conflict between the owner/author of the game and the site? If true, one would need to consult a lawyer directly. I doubt Invision would expend manpower without direct knowledge of proof.

I may be mis-reading exactly what you are looking for.

Guest Mythotical

[quote name='sunrisecc' date='27 November 2009 - 10:46 PM' timestamp='1259362010' post='1882941']
Is this not a conflict between the owner/author of the game and the site? If true, one would need to consult a lawyer directly. I doubt Invision would expend manpower without direct knowledge of proof.

I may be mis-reading exactly what you are looking for.

I believe you are misreading. I am looking for a clause regarding how IP.Board may be used on a site according to any agreement the member agreed to upon downloading of IP.Board.

Sorry guess I could have worded it better. LOL

Assuming the game is legally purchased, discussion of such a game is permissible and does not involve Invision. You have not stated that it is a pirate site. Hence the piracy reporting page is of no value.

I believe you are trying to involve Invision in a legal dispute which does not involve them directly and you are looking for any means to get back at the site.

I can only offer an opinion based on the vague comments outlined so far.

Guest Mythotical

LOL, I have no interest in this site, they have no compentition to me as I am not in the same industry as them. Let me give you details then, I play World of Warcraft, this company created a game called Alganon where as they have blatantly stole designs, names, places, etc which are copyrighted to WoW in turn they are using IPB as a means to promote this action and their so called new game. I am just wondering whether or not they are in violation of any agreements with IPS.

BTW, please accuse me of involving anyone in any legal action. I am merely inquiring as a curious mind does especially since their forum is filled with accusation threads and I know vBulletin has a clause in regards to what I am talking about. So curious as to what other forums have that clause.

Your assertions that there are infringements on the copyrights etc are only allegations (at the moment). It is a stretch to try and get Invision involved at this point.

I am baffled that you would look at the TOS even before any liability has been found.

I wish you good luck.

[quote name='Rikki' date='27 November 2009 - 08:02 PM' timestamp='1259366563' post='1882954']
We do, but unless we host the site or unless they're using IP.Board itself illegally, there is very little chance we can successfully do anything about it. Your best bet is to contact their host.

Better yet, contact Blizzard Entertainment since that is who the copyright holder would be.

[quote name='CalendarOfUpdates' date='27 November 2009 - 07:17 PM' timestamp='1259367451' post='1882961']
Better yet, contact Blizzard Entertainment since that is who the copyright holder would be.

Yes, you're right - in fact a DMCA notice can only come from the copyright holder.

Archived