New Board

Les Turner

I co-run a forum that's busy at the best of times (around 28k members and 1000 active daily). I've been reading through a few of the threads here and having heard some of the problems you guys have been having, is it worth our while to upgrade or wait for the bugs to be worked out? We're currently running Board 2.3.6 and the last thing I want to do is try and introduce a new look board and have it go belly up on me.

TIA

Les

I must say, that if this forum's default skin is the new look board, I like it :D I'll certainly consider the backup option and take the plunge..... but then again I might chicken out and ask our efficient hosts to do the honours for us. Think I'll sleep on it a while :ahappy:

Thanks again.

[quote name='Les Turner' date='02 November 2009 - 09:54 PM' timestamp='1257198897' post='1874757']
I've been reading through a few of the threads here and having heard some of the problems you guys have been having, is it worth our while to upgrade or wait for the bugs to be worked out? We're currently running Board 2.3.6 and the last thing I want to do is try and introduce a new look board and have it go belly up on me.

I've been running 3.0.x now in a live environment since September and there are certainly no show stopping bugs or problems. I would have thought you guys on 2.3.6 would have been itching to get the new system online (you really are missing out) :P

Ditto setting up a test site and do a test upgrade of a copy of your database. I run a busy forum and waited until 3.0.3 came out before upgrading. Things have settled down a lot with 3.0.4 and my forum is running pretty well. One thing that I had to do was add some more memory to my dedicated server as version 3 is a bit more resource hungry than version 2.

Having a test site also allows you to practice customizing the skins.

3DKiwi

[quote name='BacTalan' date='02 November 2009 - 06:20 PM' timestamp='1257211217' post='1874827']
Upgrades are free, it's only conversion that they charge for.

I know that but if they are worried about botching it halfway through they can leave it in a professionals hands. ;)

[quote name='BacTalan' date='03 November 2009 - 02:20 AM' timestamp='1257211217' post='1874827']
Upgrades are free, it's only conversion that they charge for.

My favourite price!! (w00t)

Thanks again folks. I'll run it by the rest of the co-owners and go from there. We've got a test site already set up for other things so I could always try and make a mess on that first :whistle:

Archived