view new content

Gavrisimo

So we have 2 options:

-since last visit
-all unread

Problem with first option is that when my members go to work/school/uni and they log in they start new session and view new content is not showing them anything.

All unread comes then to do rescue, but once you read something its gone from that list.

What i thought is just make something like it was in 2.3.x which was showing all unread posts/topics and they were staying there untill you press "mark all as read". :)

Or maybe there is some setting in acp that is making my forum behave like this?

In 2.3, once you read a topic it didn't stay 'unread' until you marked the board as read, it was read at that point. I'm pretty sure the 'since last visit' option they added is the same as the 2.3 behavior, they added it because people wanted something similar to the 2.3 way of searching.

[quote name='Μichael' date='21 October 2009 - 08:14 AM' timestamp='1256127282' post='1869640']
I'm pretty sure the 'since last visit' option they added is the same as the 2.3 behavior, they added it because people wanted something similar to the 2.3 way of searching.

It is, you are correct here. If the results don't show up when you first load the page, try a refresh - perhaps your "last visit" time isn't set the first time the page loads?

I have no idea really if it was a bug i made with my file edits or it is standard IPB 2.3.5 behavior, but on that mentioned version when you click "View new content(posts)" you get a list of new posts and there is this image new_post.png which is showing if that post is read or not. Now that list stays the same next time you press "View new content(posts)" but on topics that you did read that image new_post.png is not there and that list stays the same untill you press "(Mark all items as read)".

I hope anyone can understand what i am talking about?

Now in 3.0.4 we have two options, first "Since last visit" where the list is staying same, and you may have or may not have new_post.png depending on your "read" status for that topic, untill you press "(Mark all items as read)". So in a way this is working like 2.3.x version did but there is that problem when you start new session - all records about topic being new are lost for you.

In second option "All unread" is fixing that problem with new sessions because you are always getting same list of new content. Problem here is that once you read some topic - that topic will not show again in "View new content" untill someone actually make new post. So that means you will never see a topic in "View new content" list without new_post.png.

Againg i really hope someone can understand me... :D

So i hope something can be done about this problem with first option, "Since last visit", and new sessions being started when user log in from different computer. In order for that to work, ie you are visiting IPS forum from your home pc and after some period of not visiting it list of new content builds up and then you visit forum from pc at your work/school/uni/whatever and you press "View new content" that page will be empty.

I really dont know how to break this down any further, i really really hope someone understand me and that something can be done about this.

What I would like as a setting is to show the topics in which a user has posted in the last x hours (on clicking the View New Content tab)
This would boil down to something similar to this (in \www\admin\applications\forums\extensions\searchPlugin.php)

Would that be possible to include for default (as I do not prefer to have modifications - for upgrading reasons)?

/* Generate last post times */

if ( ! $this->memberData['bw_vnc_type'] )

{

$cutoff_time = 48*60*60; // hours x minutes x seconds

$where[] = "t.last_post > " . time() - $cutoff_time;

}

[quote name='theGaVrA' date='21 October 2009 - 12:35 PM' timestamp='1256142916' post='1869747']
I have no idea really if it was a bug i made with my file edits or it is standard IPB 2.3.5 behavior, but on that mentioned version when you click "View new content(posts)" you get a list of new posts and there is this image which is showing if that post is read or not. Now that list stays the same next time you press "View new content(posts)" but on topics that you did read that image is not there and that list stays the same untill you press "(Mark all items as read)".

I hope anyone can understand what i am talking about?

Now in 3.0.4 we have two options, first "Since last visit" where the list is staying same, and you may have or may not have depending on your "read" status for that topic, untill you press "(Mark all items as read)". So in a way this is working like 2.3.x version did but there is that problem when you start new session - all records about topic being new are lost for you.

In second option "All unread" is fixing that problem with new sessions because you are always getting same list of new content. Problem here is that once you read some topic - that topic will not show again in "View new content" untill someone actually make new post. So that means you will never see a topic in "View new content" list without .

Againg i really hope someone can understand me... :D

So i hope something can be done about this problem with first option, "Since last visit", and new sessions being started when user log in from different computer. In order for that to work, ie you are visiting IPS forum from your home pc and after some period of not visiting it list of new content builds up and then you visit forum from pc at your work/school/uni/whatever and you press "View new content" that page will be empty.

I really dont know how to break this down any further, i really really hope someone understand me and that something can be done about this.

In 2.3.6 it worked identically to how it works now if you select "since last visit" in your usercp. The display is different, but the functionality is the same. We query for all topics you can view with last_post timestamp > your last_visit timestamp. This is exactly what we did in IPB 2.3.x as well. :) If you mark the board as read on 2.3.6 or 3.0.4, it should not remove items from "view new content" if you are using the "since last visit" option. Only if you have no activity for the configured session timeout (15 mins by default) will it reset your last_visit timestamp (or if you visit from another IP address within that timeframe or something).

Hmmmmmmmmmmm......................

Something is definitly different but i just cant say what. But anyhow, i have "Session Expiration (in seconds)" on 86400 which should be hmm 1 day. We used that on 2.3.x and we still use it now. Ill run some tests with default values.

Still i didnt get answer for this scenario:

you visit your forum before you go to sleep. You wake up and go to your job from where you visit that same forum. Members in that scenario with "Since last visit" are getting empty page on "View new content". :(

Maybe that i was using 86400 sec is the problem. Hmmm... Like they visit before going to sleep and they have session started then. Say it was at 23h. So session should end next day at 23h or something. So they visit several hours after and board see that they still have that old session active and kills it and start new one. Maybe with 15min for session expiration it will work.

I just cant remember why did i put that value on 1 day... I think it was something like members couldnt stay logged in or something...

Also i have this on "Yes":

Reset member's log in key upon each log in?
If 'yes', each successful log in process will reset the member's auth key which is used in cookies as a password. This will make it impossible to remain logged into more than one computer.

Maybe i should put that also to default value?

[quote name='theGaVrA' date='21 October 2009 - 10:09 AM' timestamp='1256119745' post='1869612']
So we have 2 options:

-since last visit
-all unread

The default here is "since last visit". Is there a way for an admin to default the setting for the entire board to "all unread" ? Thus allowing users to change back to "since last visit" if THEY want to?

I find that several of my users have the forum as a tab opening each time they launch their browser. But they may not read the forum each time, so they miss content. Having to tell each of them to change the setting is a pain, so I would prefer to be able to reverse what is currently on offer.

• 1 month later...

theGaVrA, did you ever find a solution to your problem?

I have the exact same problem as you, and I understand your explanation perfectly.

What I don't understand is why Brandon claims the behaviour is the same on 3.0 as 2.3. To my mind it is not the same, no matter what settings you use on 3.0. And my members are complaining the same.

What I would like is a list of new content the same as on 2.3. Namely:

List of all topics that have been active since last "mark all read" (not since "last session"), those that are unread have a little orange icon, those that are read have no orange icon but are still displayed.

It seems, however, that with 3.0 such a listing is impossible.

[quote name='James Ford' date='03 December 2009 - 07:23 AM' timestamp='1259843035' post='1884524']
theGaVrA, did you ever find a solution to your problem?

I have the exact same problem as you, and I understand your explanation perfectly.

What I don't understand is why Brandon claims the behaviour is the same on 3.0 as 2.3. To my mind it is not the same, no matter what settings you use on 3.0. And my members are complaining the same.

What I would like is a list of new content the same as on 2.3. Namely:

List of all topics that have been active since last "mark all read" (not since "last session"), those that are unread have a little orange icon, those that are read have no orange icon but are still displayed.

It seems, however, that with 3.0 such a listing is impossible.

That is NOT how the view new content worked in 2.3, however. So what you are asking for is NOT how 2.3 worked.

In 2.3, view new content was 100% entirely based on your last_visit timestamp in the ibf_members table. We simply found all topics that were started after your last_visit timestamp (which is updated when you are not active on the site for at least 15 minutes).

To replicate that, in your usercp, you choose for "View New Content Method" the option "Show me all new content since my last visit".

HOWEVER, you said you want to see all content since you last marked as read. The closest option to that is "Show me all content that I have not read". This will find all content since you last marked as read that you have not actually viewed. For instance, if you mark the board as read, and 2 topics are posted, and you read 1 topic, only 1 would show on the view new content page.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived