What are the memory requirements for IP3?

rbiss

Exactly. We avoid ini_set calls because of several reasons

1) They're disabled on many hosts
2) I've seen some hosts end script execution when called (maybe a suhosin setting or something, can't remember)
3) There are many other avenues for setting this outside of IPB, no need for another method that's software-based that is much less reliable than the other methods

• 1 year later...

Having all sort of issues with trying to upgrade to the latest version of ipb. My hosting only allows 20MB of php memory and the installer stayed i needed at least 128MB. I called my hosting company and they said they would not increase it because im on a shared server. Does anybody have an y ideas..or know if I can change anything myself. Im not to skilled in php so I'm just trying to understand this all. If im at 20MB and the installation went through would that cause any problems?

Thank you in advance

Ive reached out to my hosting company and they will not increase my php memory limit....i have reached out to multiple housing companies (not sure if I can name them on here) and they can guarantee only 32MB or less. Any body find a hosting that is not expensive and supports the minimum requirements? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Or pm me.

thank you.

128MB is the memory limit on a stock installation of PHP 5.2. Because some of the routines in the upgrader are memory intensive, we recommend you use the PHP recommendation. You may (or may not) run into issues running the upgrader if you use less.

Note, however, that a normal IP.Board page uses far far less than 128MB of memory (the board index used around 8MB as reported by PHP 5.2, last I checked). I've run many successful upgrades at 64MB limits - each server and scenario can be different. If your host absolutely will not raise the memory limit, you can make a backup and attempt the upgrade - you may have no issues. If you do, however, there is little we can do but ask that you have the memory limit raised, even if only temporarily just to run the upgrader.

Archived