favicon

vesperala

I have a simple enough solution. Remove the write permissions from all images that you don't want to have overwritten. favicon.ico (in root and admin folders), emoticons and anything else.

That's my solution to the problem and it works beautifully. :D

[quote name='Charles' date='12 August 2009 - 03:54 PM' timestamp='1250081641' post='1842548']
We just upload all the files. There is no conspiracy :)

Just ask in your upgrade request to see if they can remember not to overwrite it.

I did not say is a conspiracy...
I just posted here , on feedback, as your support team always says me to do A SUGGESTION and I hope you can take it this way and not make funny.

or at least next time do not ask me WHY I am not posting it here for your developers.

that is why.
always find a smart guy who make fun. this time, you.

for me is not funny to upload it 8 times. and I suggest not to replace what already exist.
you care or not, is my problem.

to remember something I need first to know about it that exist.
I already lost one favicon because no one told me will be lost. maybe other customers of yours will have the same problem later, loosing their favicon.

who cares? no one tell them to keep it at least.
and you are not the person that should think is funny. you are the one who should think at a solution.
at least you must pretend you care.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='12 August 2009 - 04:55 PM' timestamp='1250085323' post='1842569']
I have a simple enough solution. Remove the write permissions from all images that you don't want to have overwritten. favicon.ico (in root and admin folders), emoticons and anything else.

That's my solution to the problem and it works beautifully. :D

nice Idea

:) must figure out now how permissions should be set.

+1 for this. thank you

444 would be ok? :unsure:

[quote name='vesperala' date='12 August 2009 - 12:05 PM' timestamp='1250093103' post='1842652']
nice Idea

:) must figure out now how permissions should be set.

+1 for this. thank you

444 would be ok? :unsure:

Should be. So long as it is 4 or 4+1 (and not 4+2 or 4+2+1). 4 is read, 2 is write, 1 is execute. But since you don't need to execute a picture, no need for the 1 so 444 should be perfect.

[quote name='Charles' date='12 August 2009 - 09:19 PM' timestamp='1250101195' post='1842742']
Vesperala doesn't like me. No matter what I say or do he becomes unhappy with me. I'll go cry in the corner and never reply to one of his posts again. :cry:

SHE/HER!

-firstly I am a woman.

-secondly, I do like you :) everyone knows that, but you don't... :blush: :ermm:

-thirdly: please, smile :blush: I will upload that favicon in all my nightmares, if you don't :rolleyes:

vesperala.gif

-----user signature-----
:))

God knows this was a serious thread... :shifty:

[quote name='vesperala' date='12 August 2009 - 12:03 PM' timestamp='1250093026' post='1842650']
for me is not funny to upload it 8 times. and I suggest not to replace what already exist.

Unfortunately, this isn't logical or possible. To upgrade your forums we *have* to replace the files. Our technicians are inundated with requests as it is, and don't really have time to be picking apart individual directories to determine which files should we upload and which ones shouldn't we upload.

At the end of the day, as Charles said, we simply take the entire installation and upload it. When upgrade packs are available, we will use those as appropriate. I would agree with Charles that if you make a small note when you request an upgrade stating "please don't overwrite my custom favicon" the technician will surely see that and do his best not to do so. :) It's just a little thing to do on both our parts.

[quote name='Charles' date='12 August 2009 - 02:19 PM' timestamp='1250101195' post='1842742']
Vesperala doesn't like me. No matter what I say or do he becomes unhappy with me. I'll go cry in the corner and never reply to one of his posts again. :cry:

SHE/HER!

-firstly I am a woman.

-secondly, I do like you :) everyone knows that, but you don't... :blush: :ermm:

-thirdly: please, smile :blush: I will upload that favicon in all my nightmares, if you don't :rolleyes:

I think he was kidding with the crying bit.

Don't you have a full backup of your board somewhere? Anywhere? Because you could always extract the favicon.ico from that backup to restore your current site.

Also, to add onto what bfarber said, when you request an upgrade to be done to your board, make a backup of your data/board before you submit the request. That way if something gets overwritten that you wanted to keep, it's easy enough to recover. Doing that in addition to the permission settings (of 444 on the images you want to protect) will ensure fewer problems in the future.

:)

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='12 August 2009 - 11:45 PM' timestamp='1250109929' post='1842850']
I think he was kidding with the crying bit.

Don't you have a full backup of your board somewhere? Anywhere? Because you could always extract the favicon.ico from that backup to restore your current site.

Also, to add onto what bfarber said, when you request an upgrade to be done to your board, make a backup of your data/board before you submit the request. That way if something gets overwritten that you wanted to keep, it's easy enough to recover. Doing that in addition to the permission settings (of 444 on the images you want to protect) will ensure fewer problems in the future.

:)

:) well... I know he is kidding, I am kidding myself, except the fact I truly like him :huh: and I know he has many reasons not to like me.

back to topic: first of all, I am not good at this things and I was even worse..
I lost it long time ago, when I did not know I must make a backup before upgrading...in fact I was doing almost no backups at all. the reason is simple, I do not knew then , I do not know today either how to use it...

but today at least I know how to unpack to take something from there...

but is a good idea again, I will search my first backup, I do have some chances to be there...not much but is better than no chance.

:rolleyes: thank you!

Archived