Please please please please.

stoo2000

I'm not sure if it's just because the particular forum is frequented by older less IT confident people, or whether it's plain sillyness...

For one particular forum I am getting users replying to the e-mail notification thinking they are replying to the personal conversation.

Would it be possible to add a messages telling them not to reply...

[quote name='stoo2000' date='30 June 2009 - 09:42 AM' timestamp='1246369341' post='1817467']
Would it be possible to add a messages telling them not to reply...

While that's a good idea (and definitely should be in there), I can bet that you'll still have people replying to emails thinking that it'll get to the intended recipient.

Where I live, there's a mall a few blocks away with a driveway on the side of the block for people to use. It has two lanes for people to exit (turn right and then the straight/left turn). There are two inbound lanes that merge into one, with one of them being for traffic from one direction (to make a right turn into) and the other for traffic from the other side of the street. There is a sign that says "Keep left" on a small island that separates the two inbound lanes. Guess where the people coming from the other side tend to go..

I go to places where there are signs on the walls giving you important information, like whether or not checks are accepted, needing personal ID (like a drivers license) under certain circumstances, etc. People still try to do the opposite of what the signs say.

There's an intersection where a sign is up telling people not to block the intersection (it's a small intersection so it doesn't look like much). People still block it and others get pissed off because they can't through because of the dumb butts that show no consideration for others.

There's a bug tracker on this site where people report the same bugs over and over again, most notably about an error in the bulk mailer. A majority of those reports could have been avoided had people read the first page of reports or just did a search for "bulk".

In short, you're going to still have numbskulls that will ignore anything you put in there and they will continue to read the message that was meant specifically for them and still try to reply to it. You could have big bold blinking blue/black words saying "You must visit the site to reply to this message" and people will still ignore it.

Not saying it's not worth trying, because it will let some people know that they can't just reply to the message. But there will always be the few who seem to have a special gift for ignoring what's smacking them in the face.

:)

You are being so polite using the word Numbskulls ;)

Unfortuantley we do live in a world where people don't read messages/signs and then ask the question or assume wrong, I've not compared the notification with 2.3.6's notification but with 2.3.6 I never had anyone trying to reply to the messages, thats what makes me think that a do not reply message might of been left out of the notification.

People just refuse to read instructions. New members were using the shoutbox over at my site as a searchbox. I put up a notice stating that this was not a search engine, but a shoutbox. I still got people every day that used it for search. I finally got tired of it, and restricted it so people will have to have an x amount of posts before they can shout. People just do NOT pay attention to written instructions. Even if they are in big glowing neon letters.

[quote name='Matt' date='01 July 2009 - 08:25 AM' timestamp='1246451134' post='1818201']
You can edit the email template easily enough to add a note to 'not reply to this email because...'

That same template can also be changed to not include the contents of the PM right? Because then people would be forced to go to the board to read it, thereby nearly eliminating all replies.
:lol:

Instead of editing each email change the global header or footer for the emails so every email will have the message that the email is automatic and they shouldn't reply :)

Go in ACP -> Look & Feel TAB -> Manage Languages -> [Select lang] -> System TAB -> public_email_content and there search for footer or header, on my dev board those 2 lang strings are n the first page but it might be different on your board.

Archived