IPS Website & Community Hosting? Something is wrong..

GemaldeGR

I really can't understand why should someone buy a community hosting package with 9,99$/month when you only get 10 users online limitation and 50mb space, and with the same money you can buy website hosting package with 500mb and no limit on the online users of your community..... Exept if there is no free ipb (zend encoded) with the website hosting.

http://www.invisionpower.com/hosting/
http://www.invisionp...ing/website.php

:unsure:

[quote name='jagowar' date='25 June 2009 - 11:05 PM' timestamp='1245967550' post='1814495']
Ive already submitted my feedback through pm but Im with you.... the user limits are way too small for the price.

Extremely too small. When I first saw it I thought that was a mistake and the meant 10 hundred or thousand. It just force everyone to buy a self hosted license... Its like Gyms. They offer you 3 months with 90 euro, 6 months with 100 euro and one year with 120 euro and of course you pay for the subscription with the 120 euros and you feeling like you have done the best deal in your life.

• Management

[quote name='GemaldeGR' date='25 June 2009 - 06:16 PM' timestamp='1245968199' post='1814513']
Extremely too small. When I first saw it I thought that was a mistake and the meant 10 hundred or thousand. It just force everyone to buy a self hosted license... Its like Gyms. They offer you 3 months with 90 euro, 6 months with 100 euro and one year with 120 euro and of course you pay for the subscription with the 120 euros and you feeling like you have done the best deal in your life.

I'm curious if we've made it clear that "10 users" means you may have 10 concurrent users online, actively using your forum at any given time. If this is not clear, we would love to know to avoid further confusion. For a starter forum, 10 users all online at once is relatively good, based on what we've seen on old packages. I do agree, 10 seems low, but it's really not for a $9.95 package.

As always, we're open to feedback. :)

[quote name='Lindy' date='30 June 2009 - 04:39 PM' timestamp='1246376375' post='1817535']
As always, we're open to feedback. smile.gif

And without sounding like sucking up, makes IPS a great company who privide great services and products and are willing to take on board feedback thumbsup.png

[quote name='Lindy' date='30 June 2009 - 11:39 AM' timestamp='1246376375' post='1817535']
I'm curious if we've made it clear that "10 users" means you may have 10 concurrent users online, actively using your forum at any given time. If this is not clear, we would love to know to avoid further confusion. For a starter forum, 10 users all online at once is relatively good, based on what we've seen on old packages. I do agree, 10 seems low, but it's really not for a $9.95 package.

As always, we're open to feedback. :)

I personally think that 10 concurrent users maximum is a bit limited, especially if it happens to experience a spike in users during a particular hour of the day. But on the flip side, when someone signs up for the package, it's "buyer beware". I'm paying my hosting company about that much per month and there's no limit on the number of guests as well as other nice features. But I did my homework so I found a better deal. If someone doesn't want to do their research first before choosing, then that's their money, not mine. :)

• Management

In the FAQ we tried to make it clear that we do not shut you off if you're paying for 10 and get 11 online. We are here to help you not enforce rules :)

I am sure we will continue to adjust package terms and clarifications as we go.

Just to point something out: Boards hosted on IPS shared servers have consistently been the fastest ones I've seen, so you're paying more but getting much better performance than you'd get elsewhere. You also get IPS's support, which is much better than you'll get from almost any other host.

[quote name='changeme123' date='30 June 2009 - 05:55 PM' timestamp='1246380906' post='1817599']
how can you limit online users to 10?

We don't "limit" - your board won't go offline if you get 11.

But if you pay for 10, and we often notice there's 20 - we'd tell you it's time to upgrade.

Guest Collin10000

[quote name='Μark' date='30 June 2009 - 10:45 AM' timestamp='1246383900' post='1817640']
We don't "limit" - your board won't go offline if you get 11.

But if you pay for 10, and we often notice there's 20 - we'd tell you it's time to upgrade.

The above question was ignored, does that include guests and bots?

• Management

[quote name='Collin10000' date='30 June 2009 - 09:36 PM' timestamp='1246412176' post='1817937']
The above question was ignored, does that include guests and bots?

Technically, yes, any type of session is counted. It is, however, worth reiterating that it is a soft limit, meaning, your board will not be impacted nor will you be charged for overages. As mentioned, if you regularly have 20 sessions with a 10 session package, you may be asked to upgrade; but we will not be actively enforcing hard limits.

Well my biggest dissapointment is when I found out my service provider does not use php 5.2+ on any of its servers YET, so version 3.0 is moot, cannot run it, my provider is one of the best deals out there, but they will not be upgrading the php version in the near future.. Yes the 10 person limit really does drop the ball! I get 20gb disk space, unlimited access, unlimited DB's and much more for $9.99 a month.. But no php 5.2 yet.
Time to research your competition out there - www.stvsweet.com

Archived