could it be added?

Zero5854

Ok while I am on the search issue elsewhere (and maybe this has already been mentioned) but what happened to my assistant? Now the only way you can search for your posts/topics is by going into search? Can you guys maybe add a link somewhere to just show my posts or show my topics? It will save one page load vs going into the advanced search and typing in my username.

AGAIN with all the page loads! Why not have the link in the dropdown next to your name? This is much heavier then alot of forum scripts as it is because this uses its own kernal. I mean how hard would it be. I will just add one myself. Its a good suggestion at least. The creators should try to think about not just the users but also the server admins.

Just a thought :)

[quote name='Zero5854' date='23 June 2009 - 02:00 PM' timestamp='1245780053' post='1813067']
yes exactly so there would be a link added like

"View your last 10 posts"

OR

"View your posts"

in the location seen in the SS below

post-144748-124578004939_thumb.png

I'm referring to the green arrow placed next to your name wherever it occurs. For example, when you post in this thread.

hey thats a good place as well! BUT you gotta think of the members. Some alot of people come on to see if anyone responded to their posts or threads. Wouldnt it be convenient to have a link right there where I showed you? I mean you had something kinda like that on all the older versions

[quote name='Zero5854' date='23 June 2009 - 03:05 PM' timestamp='1245783922' post='1813107']
hey thats a good place as well! BUT you gotta think of the members. Some alot of people come on to see if anyone responded to their posts or threads. Wouldnt it be convenient to have a link right there where I showed you? I mean you had something kinda like that on all the older versions

Well then why not just add a link to everything you can do in IPB to that dropdown? It doesn't really belong there, and you can find your topics and posts in plenty of other places throughout the board. If you are intent upon it being in the drop down, you can add one yourself on your own board. It would be a very simple skin edit.

[quote name='CalendarOfUpdates' date='23 June 2009 - 04:44 PM' timestamp='1245789842' post='1813216']
Where was that on the board index?

Well it wasnt the exact link Im talking about but you could click My assistant on index and then the little Java box came up (without another page load) and then you click View my last 10 posts. My issue is with the extra page load to see the link to view your posts. IF the link was added it would be only one pageload for any member to see thier posts. In this way it takes load off the server see? Plus for members who are new to ipb and dont know their way around yet....they can easily find the link :)

Why not? Gotta look out for the server admins as well. If you have say 2000 active members on the board and alot of them not only are searching but maybe searching their own posts as well then that extra page load means alot. Every little bit helps to help keep the forum fast. Search uses alot of resources as it it. I dont think a couple lines of code now is a huge sacrifice to save some load on the server later.

[quote name='Zero5854' date='23 June 2009 - 05:44 PM' timestamp='1245793453' post='1813261']
Why not? Gotta look out for the server admins as well. If you have say 2000 active members on the board and alot of them not only are searching but maybe searching their own posts as well then that extra page load means alot. Every little bit helps to help keep the forum fast. Search uses alot of resources as it it. I dont think a couple lines of code now is a huge sacrifice to save some load on the server later.

Trust me, I am thinking about server admins.

I voted no for consistency not because it was a bad idea. If you are looking for content submitted by a member, you go to their profile to find that information. It seems logical and consistent that if you are looking for your own content from the board index you would do the same.

[quote name='CalendarOfUpdates' date='23 June 2009 - 06:08 PM' timestamp='1245794927' post='1813275']
Trust me, I am thinking about server admins.

I voted no for consistency not because it was a bad idea. If you are looking for content submitted by a member, you go to their profile to find that information. It seems logical and consistent that if you are looking for your own content from the board index you would do the same.

Exactly my point BUT I agree that it is the easiest way to search someone elses posts. However why not have a even easier way to search your own posts? Most people search their own posts in order to quickly see replies. Not to search others posts.

If it is such a problem then why was it on all the other ipb versions, not including VB, and phpbb? they have it? Except we could have it with some class in our fancy dropdown box? :)

For the record, it would simply be a link (or two) in the dropdown that did the same thing it does now. I wouldn't bring back the dhtml popup. It doesn't reduce server load really (it has to do the same exact work, just through a different interface) and it's more maintenance. But adding a link (near "My Gallery" and "My Blog" as we have here) wouldn't hurt if you ask me.

[quote name='bfarber' date='23 June 2009 - 05:13 PM' timestamp='1245791596' post='1813245']
For the record I have nothing against adding a My Posts or My Topics link to the user dropdown at the top of the page.

That is, assuming it's wanted by enough people.

MAYBE if you removed Manage ignored users :P .

[quote name='Zero5854' date='23 June 2009 - 05:35 PM' timestamp='1245792933' post='1813255']
Can some people who want this added please vote? Should it be standard to have a link on the index to view your posts?

:lol: :rolleyes:

[quote name='Zero5854' date='23 June 2009 - 05:44 PM' timestamp='1245793453' post='1813261']

Either way it's a search, using the same criteria. It's not like one method uses the search system and the other doesn't.

[quote name='Zero5854' date='23 June 2009 - 06:22 PM' timestamp='1245795735' post='1813279']
Exactly my point BUT I agree that it is the easiest way to search someone elses posts. However why not have a even easier way to search your own posts? Most people search their own posts in order to quickly see replies. Not to search others posts.

It isn't easy to go to your profile and click Find Posts?

[quote name='aurorawx' date='24 June 2009 - 04:12 AM' timestamp='1245805936' post='1813311']
Here: http://resources.invisionpower.com/index.php?appcomponent=cms&module=articles&component=articles&article=7846

Happy? :P

Damn you! I just came to write mine here.

You beat me to it :(

Archived