Can we transfer licenses to another account?

Guest JDT

Our official stance on this is no, we won't transfer a license from one account to another - you can however, sell your license and give them access to your account.

If you have a request that falls somewhere between the two - send a ticket to account assistance explaining why you need to transfer the license and we'll say what we think it best for your situation.

Our official stance on this is no, we won't transfer a license from one account to another - you can however, sell your license and give them access to your account.

If you have a request that falls somewhere between the two - send a ticket to account assistance explaining why you need to transfer the license and we'll say what we think it best for your situation.

But as like my status, i have loosed my original license also :( My nickname was TurXaliM, i have saled my license, so my account. And now TurXaliM isn't me... I have choosen a new nickname TXM=TurXaliM

and i miss my nickname o:) :ermm:

This account used to be just a forum account - I bought a license from someone else and they were able to merge that license into this account. It really depends on your situation, I guess :).

• 1 month later...
  • Management

At present, you may sell your entire account and the new owner can update the account details. To be honest, I'm considering a change in this policy as well. In the past few days alone, we've had three claims of "account hijacking" when it turns out they've sold the license and are simply trying to reclaim it. Most recently, someone claimed their account was stolen some time ago and after digging through files, logs and reports for 3 hours, it turned out the person had sold the license and was attempting to defraud both the new owner as well as IPS. The new customer provided paypal transaction screenshots, e-mails, the original password as provided to him by the original account holder, etc. As we do encounter legitimate cases every now and again, we have to investigate each one accordingly. It's very time consuming.

Questionable license transfers and scams literally take up several hours per week in administrative overhead. I'd love to say it's as simple (or could be made as such) as a domain transfer, but it's not. As such, it's quite likely that we'll prevent core account details (name) from being changed in the future and forbid transfers altogether. Unfortunately, it's a "few bad apples" scenario and one we're quite frankly tired of dealing with.

I'm surprised the paid transfer didn't work out. I would have just jacked up the transfer price to like $50 per license. Better than no transfer allowed at all.

it's nice to have options even though i plan on retaining my license for a while.

I think they should be non-transferable, THE END. Too many headaches, as Lindy says. Don't buy a licence unless you're sure you want the blasted thing! I'd never part with my licence.

No other business requires doing things that are annoying? I am stuck with 2 perpetual licenses also when I only use 1. Most physical commodities can re-sold.

• 2 weeks later...

I think they should be non-transferable, THE END. Too many headaches, as Lindy says. Don't buy a licence unless you're sure you want the blasted thing! I'd never part with my licence.

Situations change. I'll give you an example of how these policies and policy changes over the years have been incredibly frustrating - enough that it has pushed my business elsewhere, despite preferring IPB as a product. Be assured, I wanted both of the licenses that I bought but find myself now unable to use one of them.

I became involved in a web project roughly around the time IPB2.0.0 was released. A little later it became a license-only product, but making the decision to purchase a license was easy - IPB is an all round great product. So much so that I decided to purchase a second license for use with another web project I have been involved with for many years. I bought both licenses under the same login details - back then the client area allowed you to add additional users, associate them with a license, and give them permission to download files for that license. I had no reason to believe this would change. However:

- This policy was later changed, additional users could then only add support tickets.
- The policy on transfers was then changed too.

This leads me to my current situation - I decided to leave the project I bought the first license for and had one of two choices. Tell them to go buy their own license, despite all the members chipping in some of the cost - or give my full login details to the people taking over. This is not an ideal situation, as while I trust the people who took over I always have the worry that someone else has the ability to change details of the other license also listed with the account. This may suit IPB, because my only choice for real peace of mind is to abandon one of my licenses and get another one with new login details. But it certainly doesn't suit me - as a customer - and sadly it is currently the only reason I'd never buy another IPB license and couldn't recommend IPB to others. I'd even have paid a fee to get the transfer done, but it simply won't be done.

What I'd like to see? Ability to transfer licenses, for one thing. And secondly, better security with transfers - ie, having to contact customer services when wanting to transfer a license, having a system of secret question/answer, and possibly even questions such as the original transaction method (ie: paypal transaction id) before the transfer is made. If someone attempts to claim their license was stolen after all that? It seems a little like "tough luck" as their system must be wide open.

I can dream.

Archived