Drag n Drop Pics to a post

Guest Cool Surfer

• 2 weeks later...

We are building a drag-drop function into our forums & gallery at the moment...

There are heaps of decent Java options available out there such as the ones used by myspace, flicr, even wordpress etc... it's a shame invision hasn't integrated a nice one yet.

We have already built a java multi-upload tool, however it doesn't have full drag drop (simply multi-file selection)

The main issue with any aftermarket Upload tool is it's integration with invision's current Ajax system... when uploading multiple files there is a 1-2 second delay in processing them each at the moment, and although it's alot quicker than the Ajax system, it's still not as streamlined as i would like.

+1 to invision building it in to their standard build...
I think it should be a #1 priority, to keep up with all the other applications out there that are doing it better.

Once we have developed a good solution, i will post the details on how we did it /. file changes.. unfortunately it will be up to someone else to write a nice clean mod though.

I don't see a point... dragging stuff from your computer and adding it to a post... it sounds like a junk feature, more work than needed (pretty much everyone I know views forums in a full window... so it would just be a hassle) and more crap NOBODY truly needs.

If you upload lots of images in your forum then its a much needed feature.

I don't see a point... dragging stuff from your computer and adding it to a post... it sounds like a junk feature, more work than needed (pretty much everyone I know views forums in a full window... so it would just be a hassle) and more crap NOBODY truly needs.

I agree, its not needed, and its going to be a pain in the rear to get it working... >_>

like???

One idea would be allowing use of ctrl to select multiple files and upload at once, I know photobucket has a feature like that, I think it will require javascript though from what I've heard in that thread where people were screaming about multiple uploads.

One idea would be allowing use of ctrl to select multiple files and upload at once, I know photobucket has a feature like that, I think it will require javascript though from what I've heard in that thread where people were screaming about multiple uploads.

No, it would ALSO require flash/java/activex.

Javascript has very little access to file input fields, and no HTML specification allows selection of multiple files in the file input field. In order to be able to simultaneously select multiple files, you need java/flash/activex.

What you can do without flash/etc is show multiple input fields and allow one upload button. That is the ultimate result of skysober's mod. Javascript can prettify that a little by showing one input field, and once you select a file hide it and show another input field, but you still select files one by one.

You can...

http://mark-wade.co.uk/ipb_demo.mov

^^ WOW Cool instructional Video (what software did you use to create that?)

Have to admit, for general browsing i am starting to become a safari fan :wub:

(though firefox still kicks ass thanks to firebug & web developer plugins)

I agree, its not needed, and its going to be a pain in the rear to get it working... >_>

I dont see why people are so AGAINST a better way to upload ? lol

After doing some more testing on the multi-upload i have running, it actually allows all forms:

[browse] then (ctrl) to multi-select

drag-drop

and copy & right click paste onto.

I have personally found this tool has saved me AT LEAST an hour a week, due to the events photo coverage we do via the forums (the ajax one-by-one method was EXTREMELY tedious)

You guys talk about that most of this stuff is unneeded, then you don't need to use it.

I have made a lot of little things that took a lot of time to code just to do something small but its the small things that make a different.

Also IPB 3, of what I been told, has an easier way of adding mods so it wont be hard for a good coder to replace the old up-loader with a drag and drop one.

• 1 month later...

But it seems pretty clear they aren't willing to go the java/flash/activex routes at the moment, and I can't say I blame them all that much.

Actually, the uploader in IPB 3 is flash based, with a fail over to a normal HTML form element if the user does not have flash.

Archived