Feature Suggestion: PM Flood Control

Guest grinler

PM Spamming is becoming the latest annoyance for forums and much harder to notice unless a user reports it. Would it be possible to add a PM flood control like you have for posts and searches?

I think in this day and age it is a necessary feature.

PM Spamming is becoming the latest annoyance for forums and much harder to notice unless a user reports it. Would it be possible to add a PM flood control like you have for posts and searches?

I think in this day and age it is a necessary feature.

Manage Groups in ACP you will find this and if you change it to zero for that group I don't think you will have a problem with people taking the time to spam members one at a time...Think it would get boring really quick. :P

Max. Number users allowed to mass PM?
(Enter 0 or leave blank to disable mass PM)

That setting doesnt help. That just specified the maximum amount of people you can CC in a message.

These people are not mass pming...they are using a utility to send pms one at a time. I can see this from the servers access logs.

One option is to create an intermediary Members group that doesn't have any right to PM anyone. Keep new users in that group until a certain time period has elapsed, or some other criteia that you want.

Anyone I catch using a utililty to spam with PM's is going to be shown the door, permanently, and their IP Block x.x.x.0 banned as well.

RV

Their IP ranges have already been banned. That is not the solution, though. There are ways around that.

The only true solution is to add the ability to have a captcha when sending PMs or flood control it. Spammers who can only send 1 PM every 2-3 minutes are not gonna bother. It just wont be worth their time and they will be caught relatively quick.

Your idea of a different member group is a decent solution, but it too can be easily abused when you have a large site.

Archived