wait for gallery 2.2 or buy now?

Guest 3dsoft

We are going to switch from vb to IPB. The community suite will be our choice because it seems like a product which we and our forum members will like. The only "problem" right now is that I am not sure if we should wait until IP.Gallery 2.2 will be released or if I should go with the latest stable release right now.

Is there a certain time frame when IP.Gallery 2.2 will be released?

Personally I'm holding off on the release of at least the beta of IP.Board 3.0. I just want to make sure I don't lose out on the updated versions of gallery and blog.

I sure wish there were perpetuals on gallery and blog, I wouldn't have this problem.

Just my thoughts of course.

so that you have more days/months (perhaps) left on upgrades.

A better timeframe for upgrades is not very important to me. In case of installing a beta version of the gallery (if this is even possible), I would only need a "somewhat" stable gallery, since our current board is very active.

Personally I'm holding off on the release of at least the beta of IP.Board 3.0

Yeah but is there a statement when 3.0 will be released??? I can't wait a couple of years until some version is going to be released. ;)
One of the reasons for switching to IPB is that IPB seems to be a little ahead (blog & gallery) compared to its competitor. If I would wait long enough I just could keep my vb board. ;)

Note that this public beta is only available to existing IP.Gallery customers.

...which probably means that I don't belong to those existing customers yet. If I only knew when 2.2 is going to be released. :D

IPS say very soon and considering it's in public beta it shouldn't be too far away. I'm running the 2.1 gallery on my main site and the beta of gallery 2.2 on my test site. I would load up the 2.1 gallery and use that. When the 2.2 final is released it's just a matter of updating the files and running an installer. 5 minute job on my test site and previous images etc won't be lost. However IPS do warn and suggest not running the gallery beta on your main site and they won't be able offer support if things go wrong.

Hope this helps. The new gallery is a lot better than the old one.

IPS say very soon and considering it's in public beta it shouldn't be too far away. I'm running the 2.1 gallery on my main site and the beta of gallery 2.2 on my test site. I would load up the 2.1 gallery and use that. When the 2.2 final is released it's just a matter of updating the files and running an installer. 5 minute job on my test site and previous images etc won't be lost. However IPS do warn and suggest not running the gallery beta on your main site and they won't be able offer support if things go wrong.

Hope this helps. The new gallery is a lot better than the old one.

today I did the same,
I'm not sure now if this new 2.2 is much better, of course there are many improvements but I thought that it would be better,
we will see what will be done in final release.
If you want to compare please visit
2.1.2 agrofoto.pl/forum
2.2 test.agrofoto.pl/forum

I would load up the 2.1 gallery and use that.

Thank you. That might be the smartest way. But if IPB would release Gallery2.2 within a week, I could also wait. The problem is that I don't know when it will be released. :D

My guess it will be longer than a week. The current public beta has a couple of bugs apparently but who knows. They might fix those and release the final version anytime. I can't think of any good reason not to install the 2.1 gallery now. You can be setting up your categories etc and playing with the settings. When the final gallery comes out it's a 5 minute job to upgrade. Just a matter of uploading the newer files and running the installer. Much easier and quicker than installing a forum or upgrading a forum.

A better timeframe for upgrades is not very important to me. In case of installing a beta version of the gallery (if this is even possible), I would only need a "somewhat" stable gallery, since our current board is very active.

Yeah but is there a statement when 3.0 will be released??? I can't wait a couple of years until some version is going to be released. ;)

One of the reasons for switching to IPB is that IPB seems to be a little ahead (blog & gallery) compared to its competitor. If I would wait long enough I just could keep my vb board. ;)

Before they release IPB 3.0 it has to go to a security firm, last time this process took about 2 months while they went back and forth making the suggested changes. At this current time another one of their products is being viewed by a security firm.

In other words I wouldn't expect IPB 3.0 to be released soon, I might say 3-5 months from now we will hear its going under a security audit, this is of course after other things are released. IPB 2.2.x was required before anything else could be released Converage/IPD/ect because IPB needed to be updated to support their new design structure. Which of course could changed and then they have to wait on IPB 3.0 but thats doubtful.

It took about 2 months for IPB 2.3.0 to be released after something was said about it, a month after this forum was updated to it, that period of time was no doubt a security audit or just quality assurance. These estimations are based on the released IPB 2.2.0 and IPB 2.3.0 the biggest time from annoucement to release was of course IPB 2.2.0 which took about 5-6 months.

With regards to Gallery...

No more major changes will be made to 2.2 as it is feature locked. We will only be fixing bugs from this point forward. Expect an update pretty soon.

You can use the 2.1 version on your site if you wish in the mean time (it is included with the Community Suite), and update to the 2.2 version when it goes final. Or you could install the beta, with the clear understanding that it will be unsupported until we have released it as final.

Archived