Upgrade Program - Smaller steps taken

Guest jucs

I would suggest in the future an upgrade program that takes smaller steps.

Having to use the command line for such small forums is frankly ridiculous. I just locked up my server in fact trying via the browser.

My server admin said he never has problems with Vbulletin due to smaller upgrade steps they take in their upgrade script.

Food for thought for IPB.

In fact, I had to send him each of the blocks of queries. And, oh by the way, with IE7, you could not copy and paste the whole window. Really stupid. I had to cut and paste PARTIALLY from the upgrader window.

If this thing is going to be a pig from now on upgrade wise, please provide us a command line script as someone else suggested!

I am not some newb either. I have been doing Matt upgrades since he started his first forum software. This upgrade from 2.1.7 to 2.2.1...something has gone awry in this software and the upgrade. I NEVER had problems on ANY other upgrades before. Never. That data says something.

This is the SECOND forum I have upgraded so it's not a single data point either. And, the lineages are totally different too. So, the correlation of major hassles holds.

Thanks for listening.

Most forums can handle it - my forum is moderatly large and we use the upgrade script - it only does 6 or 7 queries at a time - how many do you want? :)

But if you have a very large forum you can use the manual steps - though if your forum is that big, you should be running it on a pretty good server that will be able to handle it anyway.

If you switch the board offline before upgrading, you won't have the additional pain of members searching and posting which (in addition to upgrading) will granted probably pull you down.

would be best if IPS supplied a shell script to run through the upgrade too.

this would be near impossible with the different OS's people run and the different setups people have, to make it work on all servers would again be impossible.

this would be near impossible with the different OS's people run and the different setups people have, to make it work on all servers would again be impossible.

umm, no, it would be simple for *nix installs.
It could even be done in php which could be run from shell.

No actually it couldn't. I mean, anything is possible but running commands from the shell in PHP is very very difficult considering Unix flavors are different ( look at Mac OS X ) and the software would require the root password for the system due to the fact that some things can't always be written without proper permissions. That would be more of a headache than an asset.

No actually it couldn't. I mean, anything is possible but running commands from the shell in PHP is very very difficult considering Unix flavors are different ( look at Mac OS X ) and the software would require the root password for the system due to the fact that some things can't always be written without proper permissions. That would be more of a headache than an asset.

again no. Root password yes, but the commands are simple PHP and MySQL commands, the same that run in the upgrade.php file, or from the ACP. They will run fine from shell.

Archived