Cookie settings

Guest katz11

In a post i previously participated (locked now) a person from IPS said that i might be using incorrect cookie settings.
So what do i put in there?
I am using a Windows 2003 server, my root is C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\domain.com
What i currently have is -

Cookie Domain - .myforum.com

Cookie Name Prefix - Blank

Cookie Path - Blank

Stronghold Cookie - No

Any help is appreciated.

Mike.

Cookie Domain - just your domain
Cookie Name Prefix - stick something in there, anything will do
Cookie Path - / or /forums/ or whatever it is from your domain to the forums

For example these forums will be:

Domain: forums.invisionpower.com
path: /

IPSBeyond will have:

Domain: ipsbeyond.com
path: /forums/

The prefixes might be "ips" or "forums" - If you open you'll cookie folder you could find out

I am actually using multi quote for one of the very first times ever. lol

I thought if it's in a directory outside the root directory, the path should be filled in? In addition to the domain.

well I am just going by what Brandon said. It could be that it applied aminly to sites with the forum in the root directory though. But since he said that may confine them to that directory, I would think it would still mess some things up perhaps?

just have .mydomain.com and it's fine

If you do that, it has that long string of numbers in the url sometimes and apparently isn't totally correct in handling the cookies. But I never really noticed a "problem" from only filling in the first one.

I would only use the path if you have forums in a subdirectory, don't have subdomains setup for the forums, and don't want your cookies available to the root (or other sub) directory/directories.

i.e. if you have

site.com
site.com/forums (<-- where the forums are)
site.com/otherfolder

and don't want the cookies available to site.com or site.com/otherfolder, and you do not have a subdomain setup for /forums (i.e. forums.site.com) THEN you may wish to use the path. Otherwise, there's no point and 9/10 times users put in a value that is not what the cookie functions are expecting or can use.

This is VERY annoying. Something is definitely wrong with the whole cookie setup fdor 2.2. I have the correct settings, same as Brandon said to use, have stronghold cookies turned off, and now both of my sites just had me logged out, which I would assume means it is because of my IP addy changing, since both did it at the same time. So apparently it is still using some IP check.

That setting says only put to no if many people would be having the same IP address! My IP address changes, and then I am suddenly logged out when it does. That is NOT the same thing as many people using my IP address. So either it isn't worded well or else it would have nothing to do with me being logged out. Since it looks at the session IP, would that mean, if I start a session, then my IP changes BEFORE the session ends, then it will log me out? ALl I know is I sure wasn't logged out in 2.1.

Ok, the setting "Match user's IP address during session validation" will do exactly that. :blink: It will match your IP address when IPB tries to validate your sessions. If your IP address changes, then it doesn't match does it? As such, your session doesn't validate (with that setting enabled). How can you say it's not working properly?

The problem more commonly seen with that setting is when several people have the same IP, it will clear our each other's sessions - so in that case they should ALSO have the setting off. Typically, I'd recommend leaving it on. But if your IP is so dynamic that it changes during a single session, then you'd like need to disable the setting in your case.

Ok, the setting "Match user's IP address during session validation" will do exactly that. :blink: It will match your IP address when IPB tries to validate your sessions. If your IP address changes, then it doesn't match does it? As such, your session doesn't validate (with that setting enabled). How can you say it's not working properly?

The problem more commonly seen with that setting is when several people have the same IP, it will clear our each other's sessions - so in that case they should ALSO have the setting off. Typically, I'd recommend leaving it on. But if your IP is so dynamic that it changes during a single session, then you'd like need to disable the setting in your case.

Then the helpful hint should not say to basically use it unless you have people using the same one. I am sure more people have dynamic IP addresses than static ones now, so that indeed is a huge problem if I keep it to on.

It has been the same way for as long as I can remember, and there hasn't been any issues over it....

As for the description, we try to provide a useful one, but if you read the setting, it's doing exactly what it says. :)

If that is true, then something is wrong with RC3. Because I never was logged out randomly like I keep being every few days on this site and on my own site until 2.2. And I deleted cookies and did the cookie settings the way you said, and no string for the session is in the url, so I assume I did that all properly.

Archived