Member list question

Guest .Sephiroth.

Unfortunately, if we did that, we'd still have the 'old style' available for every single function in IPB dating back to 1.1. At some point you have to move onto newer setups, no? :)

Well, I have polled at my site, and they certainly don't like the new setup for the memberlist. :|

It's not a favorite of my users either. Change for change's sake isn't always a good thing. Still, while it does make information more difficult to locate at a glance (if you have to look at lots of accounts at the same time), if lots of people love this new setup, so be it. I think the new member view is more _personal_ (its like viewing baseball cards of each member) but it is much less utilitarian and will certainly make my job that much more difficult.

You're not hurting my feelings if you suspected that is the direction it would head. ;)

The problem with the old memberlist was it was near impossible to add anything new, and the way certain things were handled was more just like a database record lookup than a "member list".

Guess we'll see what others have to say. Personally, I like the newer one much more - I've wanted something similar to how it is now for a long time.

I need to learn how to work with the new profile and learn what parts of the templates makes it work so I can tinker with it. I also need to learn how to add the custom fields to it. I am hoping that this information will be published in an ipb help manual. :)

Edit: I'm off-topic, sorry about that. Please disregard this post.

Unfortunately, if we did that, we'd still have the 'old style' available for every single function in IPB dating back to 1.1. At some point you have to move onto newer setups, no? :)

You're not hurting my feelings if you suspected that is the direction it would head. ;)

The problem with the old memberlist was it was near impossible to add anything new, and the way certain things were handled was more just like a database record lookup than a "member list".

Guess we'll see what others have to say. Personally, I like the newer one much more - I've wanted something similar to how it is now for a long time.

Well then, why have a switch to go back to the old style for profile view? O_o; That kinda destroys your statements there..

There are a few things that do bug me, like for one, the new member list is more like a gallery list instead of what it should really be --- an actual "list of members". You don't go to many other sites and see that kind of memberlist, and I'm for sure not going to get used to this newer one.

To be quite honest, a memberlist is just what it should be.. a listing of all the members on your site. I don't need it to look like a friggen gallery! -_-'

Tis an opinion, and it appears some share it.

But on the same token, do we NOT want to innovate and start making changes because "many other sites" don't? I'd prefer IPB lead the way, not follow the pack (on a personal level).

With the profile - there were soooo many drastic changes, it was deemed necessary to leave a 'legacy' mode in, yes. But, for example, some uses want a legacy mode in place for the way new pm's display (the 1.3 popup style, the 2.0 red inline style, and the 2.1/2.2 DHTML popup style) - however we have not added legacy modes in for that. If we added it in for every feature we changed, we'd never get anywhere, the software would be twice as large to download (and take twice as long to execute checking every last feature/setting)...

Really, the memberlist *can* be skinned back to how it was with 2.1 with a little effort. :)

Well, I for one like it a lot better now. It's funny that it's been this way since they put the first live version up here, and now people are coming forward saying they don't like it. Probably would have been best to bring this up at the Beta stage, instead of the Release Candidate stage.

Well, I for one like it a lot better now. It's funny that it's been this way since they put the first live version up here, and now people are coming forward saying they don't like it. Probably would have been best to bring this up at the Beta stage, instead of the Release Candidate stage.

Well if you take a nice look at the topic start date, October 14th, I started this during B2. <_<;

• 4 weeks later...

Really, the memberlist *can* be skinned back to how it was with 2.1 with a little effort. :)

Could anyone help provide instructions on how to pull this off? I am one of those who loves a lot of the new features of 2.2, but I dislike the member list. It's great for boards that are very profile-oriented, but mine is not one of those.

I like the look better, but it does make it tough for people who want to quickly gain information from it. For instance, on my main site for 2.1 I made a points column to replace some other column and I made it where clicking the word points sorted it by most points. You then quickly saw who the main points people were. This way if I put it in and made it sortable, etc etc.... it would just be kind of weird.

• 1 year later...

The memberlist should be simple and quick to found. Ex the place which now are used to list 100 members in older version would be able to list over 400 members. There should be a mod, option or sth like that to be able to get back the old version of memberlist. I hate the new memberlist, it really make me nervous. Also I've turned an old user profile, but it's a pity what there isn't a new IPB features in old one - the friends list and the last visitors. They've also should be able to turn on in old profile in an additional table after profile information.

Archived