Upgrade from 2.1.7 timing out

Guest dyelton

I chose to run my own mysql queries and after running the first set of queries it gives me and hitting next it waits a bit and then shows a screen with a checkmark and displays "17 queries run...." but then it continues to load the page but eventually times out. Clicking the click here if not redirected link has no bearing on the page loading. I have tried this three times with loading a fresh copy of my 2.1.7 board.

My database for 2.1.7 is roughly 720MB and I'm using MySQL v4.1.21, PHP 5.1.6, Apache 1.3.37 (Linux).

720MB? There must be a lot of posts there. Depending on how many queries the installer has to do and how many things the installer actually has to add, and most importantly, your server speed counts on those timeouts. In your case, it has to be the server if you tried a clean copy. Try it on another server.

720MB? There must be a lot of posts there. Depending on how many queries the installer has to do and how many things the installer actually has to

add

, and most importantly, your server speed counts on those timeouts. In your case, it has to be the server if you tried a clean copy. Try it on another server.

There are a lot of posts. 8-) All of which have to be there as my board's subject matter requires archiving of old threads. I am on a dedicated server and this forum is all that runs on it. I'm running an Athlon 64 3800+ with 2GB RAM.

I wonder if the upgrade script will get any better for large databases or if those with extremely large boards will be stuck? Perhaps someone from Invision could add their insight to this thread.

Please report a bug on this :)

It quite obviously should be timing out, blaming a weak server doesn't help matters ;)

If there's something which won't run via web, it should be in the manual queries.

Bug Report:
http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...mp;bug_cat_id=2

I agree that if I chose to run manual queries I should be able to do that! <_< Hopefully it can be resolved very soon so I can begin testing 2.2 with my site. Thank you!

Yeah, I have the same problem--I get one page of queries to run manually, then I get the page where it says "17 queries run". It sits there for some time doing an alter table query on the ibf_posts table and eventually times out. My database is 1.8GB in size and I'm running on fast, dual Xeon dedicated server. Guess I won't be able to try out 2.2 until this bug is fixed. :(

..Al

Here is the link that fixed my problem with 2.1 upgrade

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...l=class_xml.php

That was a different problem. This particular bug for 2.2 (which Matt fixed this morning BTW) is the result of the machine timing out due to the altering of the posts table. On large boards PHP/Apache will time the process out causing the mysql query to not complete and pass back to the upgrade script. The other part of the problem was that choosing manual execution of the queries did not work and the upgrade script tried to run the queries anyway.

Archived