Reason for banning -- ban filters

Guest Luke

I know I heard something about a "Reason for banning" thing... But I couldn't find it, nor do I know what it is...

But it would be very nice if you had the ability to put a small note under certain ban filters. This would be extremely be helpful for banning IP addresses using the ban filters so other admins know why that IP was banned. Especially if you banned someone temporarily... After so much time is gone by, you forget why you banned it and it just ends up staying there.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, We truly need this feature. This would be a great feature to help the people getting banned know why there getting banned and when they are getting off banned!

Let me add to this idea if I may!!

Let's add to this a countdown timer telling them when they will be unbanned!! from Years,Months,Days,Hours,Minutes, and maybe seconds ??.

Well I hope this idea comes out good and it is used for the future releases of IPB!

Thanks,
RedZone

i think the whole warn/ban system needs a overhaul, especially to depreciate warnings and better options when warning someone too like banning options and more than a +1 warn. and i like this reason thing too.

My original suggested, which was made quite a long time ago, was to place a comment under the banned entry in AdminCP so I knew why an IP address was banned. Sure I have 50 IP addresses in my filter... But why was this banned again? I know I banned it last year. Numbers don't make as much sense after the fact... Need more info!

So instead of:

###.###.###.###, Date
###.###.###.###, Date
###.###.###.###, Date
###.###.###.###, Date
###.###.###.###, Date

###.###.###.###, Date
Bad Member
###.###.###.###, Date
Bot
###.###.###.###, Date
Because I felt like it
###.###.###.###, Date
###.###.###.###, Date

A simple line comment so I know why it was added to the filter, especially since I'm not the only admin.

As I've stated in several threads, I no longer make direct modifications for my board unless it is absolutely necessary. Not having the feature is an irritated granted, but it's not worth the time of modifying my board. I can live without it for the time being.

Having said that, I don't see why it couldn't be a built in feature in the future.

No worries, I can completely sympathize. Most mods I make are because they are features that I think are important enough to be in the base product but for some reason or another have never been added. Hopefully this feature does get added at some point as I agree it is annoying having to remember why you had to ban a particular IP address.

Archived