Buy1 Get1 free!

Guest Cool Surfer

Hi Guys

I was thinking if this can be possible.
Buy 1 license for forum and get one free.

Common. .. we all have beta test forums, where we test all mod scripts
before implementing them on working forum. If we have 1 license, then
technically that is also illegal, but all do that.

This way invision company is going to get more clients and people will be less
motivated to use this forum script from "other sources"

Maybe invision may just give a bonus free license unofficially and not necessarily
make it official. Thants fine too :rolleyes:
What do you say ?

Common. .. we all have beta test forums, where we test all mod scripts

before implementing them on working forum. If we have 1 license, then

technically that is also illegal, but all do that.

I believe if the forum is not set to public viewing and registrations are disabled - its not illegal.

Quick answer for you:

Customers may only use one IPB installation per IPB license but licensed customers (does not include the free license offered with IPS hosting accounts) may also install a development board as long as the board is unaccessible from the internet OR member registrations are disabled so that it cannot be used to manage a live community and is only operable to test modifications, etc.

That information can be found here.

Registrations can be left on, so long as the test forum itself is not accessible from the Internet. An example would be you could run it as localhost in order to perform a test registration to make sure the mod would work. From my understanding of the wording above, there is no "If the mod requires it, registrations may remain enabled" type of wording in there at all.

Is the 'friend' a customer? Is the other person using the software a customer? Are they using it to test something, or to privately create accounts for people to use the software with, rather than have people register?

I don't think that it follows the terms of the license to 'give' the ability to have a test copy to someone else for them to use. So, there would most definitely be a problem.

Per the license, there can only be one active forum, whether or not registration is enabled, that is allowed. The second one is allowed to be used purely for testing. There is no ifs, ands, or buts about it, and use of a second copy for any other purpose, from my understanding, would be a breach of your license agreement.

• 2 years later...

InvisionPower can't check everywhere, if you had ten IPB's on your localhost which you and your brother communicated on :S then IPS wouldn't really care...

If you're testing something, make a board for it. Just make sure people don't use it to communicate with eachother on.

InvisionPower can't check everywhere, if you had ten IPB's on your localhost which you and your brother communicated on :S then IPS wouldn't really care...

If you're testing something, make a board for it. Just make sure people don't use it to communicate with eachother on.

Do you really want to know how many local installations I have to have :lol: I have my one entitled from my license, one for every community project (and because we have a branch system in the community projects, I have to install quite a few inside sub folders), and then one for IPS Resources testing.

@ RuneScapez , why did you bump this topic? :huh:

@ Alex, in my opinion you can install over than one hundred boards. (because people can't see your board online :lol: ) but if you use a public server, you should have "Close" your board and then to start working on development / any other things you would want to do...

@ RuneScapez , why did you bump this topic? :huh:

@ Alex, in my opinion you can install over than one hundred boards. (because people can't see your board online :lol: ) but if you use a public server, you should have "Close" your board and then to start working on development / any other things you would want to do...

Whoa, how the hell did that happen? :S

Sorry. :blink:

the way i see it is that if you don't intend to use the forum commercially or to make a community then its fine. I have lots and lots and lots and lots of test forums and i sometimes ask friends to register on them and test new mods for me before i release them but i don't see this against the rules. I only have one licence and one forum on a "proper" domain. i guess you could say its one licence per domain?

the way i see it is that if you don't intend to use the forum commercially or to make a community then its fine. I have lots and lots and lots and lots of test forums and i sometimes ask friends to register on them and test new mods for me before i release them but i don't see this against the rules. I only have one licence and one forum on a "proper" domain. i guess you could say its one licence per domain?

Ya I guess its ok o use it like that for testing withou using it as a public forum.

• 2 weeks later...

The way I get around this is when I need to get a board version up for testing purposes (usually only when new versions are released that need skins developed for them ETC), I just install a second board in a random subdomain that is extremely unlikely to be found by a member of the public and just give the URL to the staff of my production board so they can signup and test on it without creating any piracy issues, we always test in-house anyway so nobody else needs to come on our test boards.

Archived