Age confimation?

Guest lupin84

I know this can't be confirmed for sure but I've seen it on similar boards. Where people have to fill in some sort of birthdate upon registration and comfirm they're over a certain age. I'd really like to see this implemented as I've been getting quite a few younger users recently.

Actually the reason why it isnt changable is because COPPA is not really feature it's a law, and it's a requirement for sites that have children. (I believe it's a US law, not sure about other countries)

You can read more about this here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=C...G=Google+Search

If our site isn't made for children do we not have to use it? (under 13?)

Or am I responsible even if a 13 year old stumbles upon our site? I mean it isn't made for him to be there!

I believe there is a fax number you enter to have them fax in the forum. You could try putting a message there instead. I'm not totally sure about this, but I think it prevents them from registering if they hit the coppa screen (stores cookie). Not 100% sure. You may also be able to modify the message in the language packs (/cache/skin_cahce/) and make it say something else and dont provide a fax number :)

If our site isn't made for children do we not have to use it? (under 13?)

Or am I responsible even if a 13 year old stumbles upon our site? I mean it isn't made for him to be there!

As I understand it, you are only required to go through the COPPA process if you gear your site towards children under 13 - if a 12 year old stumbles upon it and registers, it's not a big deal.

A little more options would be nice.

For example, requiring everyone to enter their birthdate upon registration. (I don't care if they are false, I did my part by making them enter the information)

right now, I have COPPA turned on and if they say they are under 13, I do not allow them to continue. I've had to modify a few templates, which I find annoying.

A simple, disallow under 13 registrations tick box would be nice...

Archived