If set to 'no', they will be able to delete as normal

Yes No
Use trashcan for forum moderators?

Yes No
Use trashcan for regular members?

Yes No

Also while I'm at it, I think to make a better range of offerings here...

Use trashcan for deleted topics ROOT administrators?

Yes No
Use trashcan for deleted posts by ROOT administrators?

Yes No

Difference between a topic and post is that the post is the first one of that topic. Just keep it simple. The purpose of deleting something is to get rid of it without making it "invisible". The purpose of the trash can is to either catch it or not.

Next thing you know, it'll be requests to do topic-vs-post deletions per admin, supermod, mod, member and guest.

Then it'll become topics-made-by-root-admin, topics-not-made-by-root-admin, etc

It's like filling up a 1 gallon jug with water because you're thirsty for a sip... Overkill.

The original idea I think is great because it let's the admin give more freedom to the members or keep more control over the board. If anything else is done, I think the ability to "Undelete" should be made, so that it's automatically reinserted into the topic it was deleted from (or the topic restored to the forum it was in).

I think the trash can settings should be overhauled by at least IPB 3.0. As it is now, it's a bit bare bones. And there are times when I think you should be able to "recycle" posts, but not it's parent topic. Just my two cents. :thumbsup:

I just interpret it as always having a record of what was always posted.

ANOTHER FEATURE SUGGESTION:

Edit History

Cause the way I look at it, someone could post something offensive, and whatnot - delete and/or edit it, and never get in trouble and never have an official record. Hense my suggestion of Trash Can for Regular Members, and recent suggestion of Edit History. Edit history will also serve as a record for something edited by Admin/Mod.

I just interpret it as always having a record of what was always posted.

ANOTHER FEATURE SUGGESTION:

Edit History

Cause the way I look at it, someone could post something offensive, and whatnot - delete and/or edit it, and never get in trouble and never have an official record. Hense my suggestion of Trash Can for Regular Members, and recent suggestion of Edit History. Edit history will also serve as a record for something edited by Admin/Mod.

That would create a massive increase of data that would have to be stored.

That would create a massive increase of data that would have to be stored.

It could be argued having a trash can period would be a massive increase of data - hense the OPTION of having it.

Nothing in IPB is set in stone, you it's an option you have.

You don't HAVE to use it, however the ability to do so should be there.

• 3 months later...

Dunno, I have groups that are allowed to delete their posts, and all deleted posts goto an archive forum.

Same with root, for those cases where an could occur.

That's good enough for us anyway

Is there an option to move them to an archive forum or is this a mod you have added, I dont see any option anywhere :unsure:

There should be the following options:

Use trashcan for topics and ROOT administrators?If set to 'no', they will be able to delete as normal
Yes No
Use trashcan for posts and ROOT administrators?If set to 'no', they will be able to delete as normal
Yes No
Use trashcan for topics and normal administrators?If set to 'no', they will be able to delete as normal
Yes No
Use trashcan for posts and normal administrators?If set to 'no', they will be able to delete as normal
Yes No
Use trashcan for topics and global moderators?If set to 'no', they will be able to delete as normal
Yes No
Use trashcan for posts and global moderators?If set to 'no', they will be able to delete as normal
Yes No
Use trashcan for topics and forum moderators?If set to 'no', they will be able to delete as normal
Yes No
Use trashcan for posts and forum moderators?If set to 'no', they will be able to delete as normal
Yes No
Use trashcan for topics and regular members?If set to 'no', they will be able to delete as normal
Yes No
Use trashcan for posts and regular members?If set to 'no', they will be able to delete as normal
Yes No

-----

Also edit history. To maintain a record of edited things by members AND staff, alike.

Archived