Merge Members

Guest krocheck

There are many times where I find that a member has registered twice. I never end up deleteing the non-used account because that member has made a few posts in it. I would like to be able to merge posts from multiple users to one and the delete the left-over (empty) accounts.

Keith

There are many times where I find that a member has registered twice. I never end up deleteing the non-used account because that member has made a few posts in it. I would like to be able to merge posts from multiple users to one and the delete the left-over (empty) accounts.

Keith

I second this request.

Let's upgrade this feature some..

The ability to give it a second database to read from, then be able to import it's members (optionally) and posts (optionally).

When importing members, if it finds matching members (ie, same member ID #'s & join date and then same name or email), then 'skip' the import for that member.

I have an old backup that if I could only import the messages (or perhaps even the forums/subforums too), it would be a great asset to my forums. :lol:

Of course, after such an ordeal, would have to do major recounts of all the posts and such.

But on the flip side, the options for IPB would jump up too, being able to merge databases would just be amazing.

Perhaps IPB could..um.. I think I'll make this a separate request.

Is this something you would actually use or are you just day dreaming? Why not just keep it simple? Give me the option to merge two accounts. This is a typical day-to-day issue I have.

User X has registered and has been active then one day clears his cookies and can't remember his password. His email is from his old ISP so he can't get password emails. What's he do? He registers a new account X2 and then posts a message saying he can't recover his password yadda yadda. Now I've got one user, two accounts. Being able to merge all the posts, subscriptions, subscriptions (twice on purpose), PMs, images, albums, blogs etc. of X2 back into X would be a real treat.

Thanks.

I had.. What I call the GFC of 2004 (GFC = Great Forum Crash)..

Only things I was able to retrieve was everything up to but NOT including the post contents. Everything else... gone.

I had a backup from about 10 days earlier, but enough had been added, as well as my belief (and fear) that the backup had potential problems within it to cause another failing. So I recovered what I could and then proceeded to restart the posts from there.

The backup, consisting of over 2500 posts, I had recently dragged out. With the little bit of new knowledge that I have, I was able to figure out the problem and solution for it. However, since I have over 5,000 posts now, it would be impractical for me to restore those posts now.

Therefore, if it were possible to have it merge the posts, correcting for member id differences (which there would be none), as well as updating reference pointers, then I could re-integrate the older topics into the current system and not only increase the topic/post count :lol: but also somewhat restore what was lost in the forums.

:)

Note:

This is why I made this request: http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=177466

Perhaps the SQL experts can post a query which would search for all posts by MmeberID X and change the MID to Y, and then another to delete Y, where Y is the second account and X is the first.

No expert, but here's my documentation record of such an exercise, the "delete" part I'll leave, as I've no idea of all the board features that may be used/allowed, so there could be all kinds of touches made to remove all other database entries (avatars, uploaded files, attachments, etc.);

xxxx G. Member No.: 2041

Total Cumulative Posts 1071

xxxxG Member No.: 2

Last Active 9th April 2004 - 04:24 PM

UPDATE ipb_posts SET author_id="2041" WHERE author_id="2"

Query: UPDATE ipb_posts SET author_id="2041" WHERE author_id="2"

Executed Successfully

UPDATE ipb_topics SET starter_id="2041" WHERE starter_id="2"

Query: UPDATE ipb_topics SET starter_id="2041" WHERE starter_id="2"

Executed Successfully

Rebuild User Post Counts

This will recount members posts based on CURRENT posts from the database. This will almost certainly REDUCE the post counts for your members as deleted and pruned posts will no longer be counted. This should not be used if you wish to retain your member's current post counts.

THERE IS NO UNDO!

xxxxG Total Cumulative Posts 0

xxxx G. Total Cumulative Posts 1791

• 2 weeks later...

There is more than just those, but they are a start.

A standard feature to do this would be great :D

you have got to be kidding me.. this is not already a standard feature??

we just merged two sites one from vb the other from invision, we have a number of users that need to be merged, and i'm completely floored that this is not a standard feature. How could such a necessity be overlooked?

• 2 weeks later...

Merging databases gets too complicated ... having an import feature would be more handy (e.g. import topics and posts from another database to a specific forum [even better if you could specify the forum to extract from in the database]).

Merging members is the topic of discussion here though.

Keith

Merging databases is actually what you already said. Rather, the primary part of it. When importing a forum(topics/posts), what if the the member ID's are different?

While importing/merging members, a new table could be made that would simply tell the old member information and the new member information (basically, the previous id number and the new id number). The should be done anyway so that if you only have it update all the topics/posts on a current board, you can pick and choose all the members to merge, then have it do everything in one update.

After that table has been made, if someone wishes to import topics/posts, then to use another function (optional depending on circumstances). To import/merge forum information (ie, forums/subforums, names, permissions, etc). So that matching ones can remain the same (if the Admin so wishes), but ones that are different can either be merged with an existing forum or created into a separate forum of its own.

Then import the topics/posts, and as they are being imported (from a file would be nice, so it can get parsed a bit at a time), member ID's can be translated as needed, with the new information applied at the same time (ex, name and forum ID)

Of course, my overall idea would probably be best served as either a mod, or as an external utility by IPS if someone gets inclined to make it. Would be a very useful function too.

I just want a simple way to take to members and make them one (because the idiot registered twice).

:lol:

I just see some major room for potential with the idea. Have an add-on toolbox that would let you do something as minor as merging 2 existing accounts to major things like importing(merging) an external database..

Even merging 2 existing accounts should creating a reference table, so that if anything were imported or even a record missed, it would be easier to figure out what to do with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived