PM Logs

Guest andrew_wallasey

The purpose of a Private Message/Personal Message (PM) is for them to be private. Hence the name "Private Message/Personal Message". I personally like the way the current PM system works and I don't think a PM Log module needs to be implanted within the IPB's system. On top of this, as noted above a modification can be used to do this therefore if it's needed, I am certain those whom which want it will be able to install it.

Edit: It appears if I don't use the correct word choice here I get flamed by inconsiderate overreacting members in this case, JasonS.

Ali

Why are email logs not a privacy matter then, if PMs are ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly.... We currently log all emails sent through the site. Why can we not turn something on to log all private messages? As long as we tell people in the agreement when they join (Like they do regarding logging the emails), I do not see how their is a problem with it doing it?

Two wrongs don't make a right, people.

Emails are an unecessary thing to be sent through the site, and you are forewarned that they are logged, anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you forewarn everyone the PMs are logged, I don't see the problem. If someone complains about being abused in PMs how are we supposed to know if it's true?

Maybe just MP logs without viewing them would be better.

Postal services do not open your letters to check if your says are correct.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be honest, I don't care what postal services do or don't. As a provider I probably HAVE to keep logs of all email-like traffic for government use as of januari 1st 2005, I hope later or not.

Yes but the postal service do not deal with abusive mail do they? The police do... and we are the police of our boards, so to speak.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes they do ! Honnest people should not have to be managed as "criminals". If you don't want problems : shut down PM or act as an abuse is reported.
Mails are private, if someone abuse from them, he must be penalized.

When i receive something by mail (postal mail), i hate to see the letter opened or hurt.

I don't matter if someone looks in my mails/MP if it is mentionned at the beginning, not when it's hidden. Imagine you send a password by MP, if the webmaster or somebody else looks at it, yeah great for privacy ! Think the feature is not just for you, it's for eveybody. And everybody is not "clean".

If you forewarn everyone the PMs are logged, I don't see the problem. If someone complains about being abused in PMs how are we supposed to know if it's true?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can get them to forward you any PMs.

Which is why a Report This PM method is the best balance between the need for the feature and the abuse of the feature.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly.

It is not illegal. I'd suggest to have a feature where you can turn on/off email and pm viewing by root-admins. If turned off, they also should be stored using encryption.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which is impossible. You have to "decrypt" them at some point meaning it's still easy to view them.

Which is why a Report This PM method is the best balance between the need for the feature and the abuse of the feature.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed, I'd rather see a "report this pm" feature then a feature to allow viewing of all PM's.

Archived