Curiosity box: member role change not logged?

So, this curious thing happened: a moderator on the forum who had primary group "Moderators" and secondary group "Subsection Editors" (latter an own construct) suddenly and apparently spontaneously lost his role assignment in his profile reset to "Member" today. Here, it was the primary group that was reset. Although easy to re-assign, I wonder how such a thing could happen? The logs show no manual group assignment changes being made since months, and than it was the change to higher privilege. 

Its not a biggie, as it's fixed. But my question: can a primary group assignment be changed without a log of the change being saved?

Do you have group promotions? Does the user have a test subscription that would change member groups upon expiration? All things which can automatically move members groups. If you do not want this to happen for these users, you will want to ensure the member group is set to Disable Group Promotions and exclude this group from changing in subscription settings.

Hi Jim, thanks for taking the time for this. Enable group promotions is off for all groups. The Group promotions page is also empty. So I've never used these options. I've also never used subscriptions . actually don't know where to look for the corresponding settings...

Thanks! Did you recently delete the member group or rename it? Did you recently merge this user? Neither of this is logged so just curious if something went wrong with the logging.

These are the latest changes to groups for this user and it looks valid from the activity logs:

Could contain: Text

Thank you for answering all these questions. Realistically, if it wasn't manually done, the group deleted, or acted on some outside force, I am not seeing anything which would have changed this. Maybe some oddity in the upgrade/conversion data.

I would keep an eye on the user through the next couple weeks and let us know if something similar happens again. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jim M said:

Thank you for answering all these questions. Realistically, if it wasn't manually done, the group deleted, or acted on some outside force, I am not seeing anything which would have changed this. Maybe some oddity in the upgrade/conversion data.

I would keep an eye on the user through the next couple weeks and let us know if something similar happens again. 

There is a plugin created by IPS to address this problem that was previously reported by myself. It is to be included in 4.7.18 to prevent this from happening, as it has happened to me two different times on one forum and once on another.

Edited by My Sharona

3 hours ago, Jim M said:

Maybe some oddity in the upgrade/conversion data

My thought was that maybe this happened in connection with the most recent upgrade (May) because I'm not too sure the member noticed right away.

3 hours ago, Jim M said:

I would keep an eye on the user through the next couple weeks and let us know if something similar happens again

I will, but it is interesting that @My Sharona appears to have had similar issues.

Thank you both, @Jim M and @My Sharona for your input. Enjoy what's left of the weekend!