Move to S3 messes up embedded gallery images in Pages

I offloaded most of my site to Wasabi-S3.  I have many articles that use the "Insert Existing Attachment -> Gallery Image" function.

Now that the move is complete, those embedded images do not render properly in the article. If you hover the link, it just shows a link to the top level of the album rather than the image.  However, if you edit the article, you can see the proper attachment at the bottom of the article in the attachments bar, and it easily reinserts itself into the article.

You can see an example of this at https://www.cheersandgears.com/articles/news/acura/a-minor-refresh-makes-a-big-difference-for-the-2025-acura-mdx-r6692/

The system tries to blame it on my template, but it happens on the default IPS template as well.
This happened in the past with Amazon S3 before I moved back to local storage.

Is there a way to programmatically fix this for all of my articles?

My access info in my client area is up to date.

Keep in mind that we only support Amazon S3. Using another service's S3 may not work completely as intended as their API may be just slightly different and cause different results/issues. 

If you use any CDN or other server caching services, you will also want to clear these after doing a move of this magnitude.

The current page is rendering a 500 Internal Server Error so I cannot access it currently.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Keep in mind that we only support Amazon S3. Using another service's S3 may not work completely as intended as their API may be just slightly different and cause different results/issues. 

If you use any CDN or other server caching services, you will also want to clear these after doing a move of this magnitude.

I understand all of that. However, it did this with Amazon S3 as well. It's not S3's fault that the URL the script puts in there is wrong when the file exists as intended in the correct location.  As I mentioned, if you open the article for editing, the attachment is there, and you just need to double-click it to reinsert it.*  Whoops, that last sentence seems wrong for this article specifically. I will look at others. However, the desired graphic does exist at the correct location and the URL is pointing only to the top of the album URL.

This seems to happen exclusively with files inserted using the "insert existing attachment" method.  Files manually uploaded to the article continue to render fine. I use the existing attachment method often in order to cut down on duplicate uploads between gallery and articles.

See this article for a comparison. - https://www.cheersandgears.com/articles/news/ford/ford-ev-access-to-tesla-supercharging-opens-r6671/  The graphic at the bottom was uploaded directly to the article and renders fine while the graphic in the original example was inserted via the existing attachment method.  Both are on S3. That and the graphic URL being incorrect are why I don't think it's an S3 issue.

16 minutes ago, Jim M said:

The current page is rendering a 500 Internal Server Error so I cannot access it currently.

I didn't expect you to be in today. 😹  I was doing some file moves that had the server pegged.  It's back now.

Edited by CheersnGears

Here's a better example.

https://www.cheersandgears.com/articles/news/infiniti/the-2025-infiniti-qx80-starts-the-brands-product-renaissance-r6683/

I manually fixed the last image in the article.  The other three have not gotten the updated URL.  However, if I edit the article, all of the images are attached at the bottom, and I just need to reinsert them into the article.

Could contain: Cushion, Home Decor, Car, Vehicle, Alloy Wheel, Machine, Tire, Wheel, Chair, Headrest

These images are .webp extensions. Our software, by default, does not support these as embedded images in content. They appear as downloaded files. If you're using a third-party service/application to convert these, you would need to work with them to assist you here.

6 minutes ago, Jim M said:

These images are .webp extensions. Our software, by default, does not support these as embedded images in content. They appear as downloaded files. If you're using a third-party service/application to convert these, you would need to work with them to assist you here.

Huh? I'm not using any third party here for this.

1. I upload them as webp to a gallery.
2. I use the "existing attachment" method to insert the images into my article.
3. Profit.

This has "just worked" like this for a while. The only thing that has changed here is where those images are stored on the back end.

I agree that this only seems to happen with webp images, however, the articles were fine until the S3 move and no third party was involved.

10 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

Huh? I'm not using any third party here for this.

1. I upload them as webp to a gallery.
2. I use the "existing attachment" method to insert the images into my article.
3. Profit.

This has "just worked" like this for a while. The only thing that has changed here is where those images are stored on the back end.

I agree that this only seems to happen with webp images, however, the articles were fine until the S3 move and no third party was involved.

webp is not a supported extension of the Gallery by default.