General Q&A - Allow users to enter a comment

Currently only active customers can comment. Before majority of IPS customers, used to ask question through IPS ticket system. Now it's through forum first. 

Can you enable commenting on existing topic/post, so even though I am not 'active' license holder but I still hold 6 licenses and hence allowed to comment. This way, I can help others because certain times in last few weeks, I thought, I can help but wasn't able to. 

It's understandable I can't create a topic but disallowing other users to help your existing customers, seems counter productive. 

Just a minor feedback. Thanks.

There are a few reasons we don't allow this. One of course, as you pointed out, is because it's a paid function of the platform (creating a topic), however we also have people responding who are simply outdated in knowledge as their software is not up to date, people trying to respond to others tickets to point out they have the same issue as another person and trying to gain support that way etc.

So realistically, while I can certainly see your point there, its unlikely we would change that as this point.

Posted (edited)

Hi @Marc Stridgen - I see your point but let me share few things from other side. 

1. User requesting for help, doesn't often indicate their installed version. So may be an option to indicate their installed version would be great. 

2. Conversations in reference to infrastructure set up / optimization, monitoring, monetizing, DDoS, spam, etc. is mostly general across all versions.  Today, even though I am using IPS forums, some/many times, I have to look at Xenforo forum because they have wide variety of infra conversations available. I would prefer to use IPS forum for having a conversation with fellow IPS forum admins. I normally contribute what I am using and at same time interested what other's are doing as well.

3. Also current IPS customers can ask for help on other non-IPS forum. Based on that my suggestion would be - general conversation category for admins to talk on and if they need IPS team support, IPS specific category. - Thanks

Edited by AlexJ