Setup Question (newbie)

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

Greetings. I am on a trial and playing with using this software for my community.

My business concept is to offer free internet marketing advice and support to invited "members" and offer a premium paid product for search engine optimization coaching/support.

So, the FORUM would Internet Marketing & SEO Coaching

The discussion groups would be (3)

What's New (open to anyone)

Internet Marketing (open to anyone)

Search Engine Optimization (must have purchased access to this)

Questions:

(1) Is my logic correct with the backend set-up of the one FORUM and sub-discussion groups? I think so... but would like to make sure. 

(1a) Or should I set these up as individual FORUMS?

(2) Can IB subscriptions and processing (a) be set up as monthly fees (b) be set up to allow this premium access I'm looking for ONLY a sub-discussion group or does it work at the FORUM level?

(3) Does IB subscription processing work in conjunction with Stripe, by any chance?

Thanks in advance for your responses, advice, and guidance here!

Chris

Could contain: Page, Text

• Solution

What you show in your image there would be the correct way to set it up. You would use permissions and groups as appropriate to set access. 

So create your groups using the below

https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/members-and-groups/adding-editing-groups-r30/

Once done, you need to set the correct permission for those 2 forums

Https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/how-to-use-ips-community-suite/managing-members/member-permissions-r305/

From here you create a subscription, which promotes users to the group with access to your paid section

https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/commerce/products-purchases/selling-subscriptions-r308/

You can indeed use Stripe for you payment method, yes.

Hi Chris,

Your forum structure is doable out of the box using native functionality.  

The difference between 1 and 1A is how much complexity of forum boards you want to present.  

For your requested use case, choice 1 is appropriate (and recommended) to keep things simple.  Choice 1A will only make sense once you're ready to grow and start offering multiple discussion boards per topic (eg. Internet Marketing forum where you offer 5 discussion boards covering Content marketing, Affiliate marketing, Influencer Marketing, etc).  

Given the simplicity of your board and the emphasis between free versus premium content, there are some native features you can really tap in to.  

- Forum colors and forum covers: you can use this to easily differentiate between free and premium discussions. 

- Our Picks: you can use this to promote and highlight snippets of premium discussions that will appear on your emails and widgets.

- Make sure to audit the "no permission" error messages and change the language string to something friendlier, such as a call to action to upgrade.