IC5 Suggestion: Add Moderator Note to Post in Approval Queue

On my community, I use the post approval feature for new users so that we can screen their content for any spam/nefarious intent. Works quite well, but sometimes we get posts that are a little too short/low quality for our moderating team to approve... but we don't want to really keep deleting their posts without being able to inform them how they can improve and actually get their posts cleared.

We can of course DM these users, but in UX terms that involves several clicks off of the topic and into other areas of the site, and it can be quite inefficient (we'd need to link the topic post to the user, explain why you're writing to them etc etc). It would be great if there was an option for a Moderator to simply insert a note into the post in question, which can send an alert to the user inviting them to view and understand how to edit the post in order to make it through approval.

Thanks for the suggestion, but no that wouldn't really help. That solution is for adding public responses to existing/already public posts from users, which doesn't apply in my use case. It would also just cause clutter that would need deleting after the post-in-waiting was approved.

Staff Messages could work as a short term solution, but it would be better to have a feature that:

1. Attaches a message like this on a per-post level rather than a per-topic level

2. Makes such a message visible only to staff and the member who made the post (not fully public, that doesn't make sense to me).

I think that would be a valid suggestion for a new addition to the moderation suite.