Ordering a Pages database record

• Square Wheels changed the title to Ordering a Pages database record

These are the available sort options:

Could contain: Text, Page

You could add a custom "Order" field to the record and sort by that field. I would make it an integer and separate records by 100 or 1000.

There is no built-in drag and drop sorting option unfortunately, but you could suggest that.

4 minutes ago, Foxtrek_64 said:

These are the available sort options:

Could contain: Text, Page

You could add a custom "Order" field to the record and sort by that field. I would make it an integer and separate records by 100 or 1000.

There is no built-in drag and drop sorting option unfortunately, but you could suggest that.

Drag and drop would be perfect. I'll post that in the suggestions.

I have looked around for Sort, where is that?  I looked at the default fields, and created a new field and do not see sort.

Marc Stridgen
This post was recognized by Marc Stridgen!

Foxtrek_64 was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 5 points.

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

Drag and drop would be perfect. I'll post that in the suggestions.

I have looked around for Sort, where is that?  I looked at the default fields, and created a new field and do not see sort.

In the database entry in the ACP, select Fields and add a new field called Order. Make this an Integer field, and set the minimum to 0 and make it required. Under the Display Options tab, disable all display options.

In the options for the database, go to Options -> Field Options -> Sort. A new entry under the Sort dropdown for Order should now be present. Select ascending order for higher numbers to be visible later.Could contain: Text, Page, Computer, Electronics, Pc

I also recommend separating order by at least 100. So for instance, the first record should be 0, the second should be 100, the third should be 200, and so forth. This way if you find out that you want to put the second item after the third, you can change its order to 250. This avoids needing to reorder the entire record set.

7 minutes ago, Foxtrek_64 said:

In the database entry in the ACP, select Fields and add a new field called Order. Make this an Integer field, and set the minimum to 0 and make it required. Under the Display Options tab, disable all display options.

In the options for the database, go to Options -> Field Options -> Sort. A new entry under the Sort dropdown for Order should now be present. Select ascending order for higher numbers to be visible later.Could contain: Text, Page, Computer, Electronics, Pc

I also recommend separating order by at least 100. So for instance, the first record should be 0, the second should be 100, the third should be 200, and so forth. This way if you find out that you want to put the second item after the third, you can change its order to 250. This avoids needing to reorder the entire record set.

Thank you!