Commerce Automatically Taking Payment

Callum MacGregor

In the automated task generateRenewalInvoices.php, Commerce will try to automatically take payment when a renewal invoice is generated (and a billing address is stored). While I don't think this is wrong necessarily, its not behaviour I desire, and my customers definitely do not want this. The offending line of code is:

/* Try to take payment automatically, but *only* if we have a billing address (i.e. the customer has a primary billing address set)
					otherwise we don't know how we're taxing this and the customer will need to manually come and pay it - we can skip this if tax has not been configured */
				if ( $invoice->billaddress OR \count( $availableTaxes ) === 0 )

I would request to have an option to disable this, as right now I have to comment this code out manually to prevent my users from being charged automatically (even if it is to account credit).

Kind Regards.

Unless you are talking about credits, this should already be an option as part of the Payment Methods settings. Depending on the provider, there are different settings for automatic renewals (on, off, user-choice), saving payment details (to allow automatic payments) and so on. If all of that is turned off, it should just create an invoice and not take money automatically. 

Edited by opentype

This would be more a suggestion to change rather than an issue. At present, this is indeed working as intended. Users should opt not to store details if they dont wish for payment to be taken automatically. You could alternatively not allow them to store them by changing the payment method.

In terms of credit, this will indeed automatically be drawn on if there is an invoice

You're right, its working as intended. I would say that opting to store billing details wouldn't necessarily count as giving consent for continuous billing; but that's a separate issue.

But back to the main topic: please could I officially request the ability to disable automatic billing for account credit? Or if its not possible to do it on a granular level, to disable automatic billing entirely for all payment methods.