Google indexed (and is offering as a search result) a reddit embed in one of our topics??

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

I see a link to an URL on our site as one of the results of a Google search, and when I click it all I get is a reddit embed. No suite wrapper. 

The URL in the Google SERP looks like this: 

https://www.my-site-name.com/index.php?app=core&module=system&controller=embed&url=https://www.reddit.com/r/name-of-the-reddit-thread

That's an issue though: someone does a search on Google, they click a search result that has my site's URL and favicon, only it takes them to a blank page where the only thing displayed is a reddit link. 

I'm not sure how Google could have decided to index that, but couldn't that be prevented? 

Is this a common thing with embeds? Them showing up as search results? 

Here's what they see after clicking the link - an empty browser window with only the reddit embed:

Could contain: Page, Text, File

10 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

My best guess would be that someone has added that link elsewhere for google to have been able to index it.

In search console under "Discovery", Google lists only two referring pages for that URL: the topic that contains the embed, and the specific comment that contains the embed. 

So apparently, Google has found the internal link when scraping the topic, and indexed only the URL of the embed. 

Edited by David N.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Marc Stridgen said:

This issue has been resolved in the recently released 4.7.15 version. Please update your site if you are still experiencing the issue, and let us know if you see any reoccurrence.

Great, thank you Marc for letting me know. I'm updating now.