Why is the full platform gatekept behind $$$?

I want to move from self-hosted to Community in the Cloud with a new project I am working on.

But I am forced to use self-hosted, because 90% of the platform is gatekept behind higher pay...

Why use Community in the Cloud, when self-hosting gives us the whole platform?

Also, the marketplace is going away... This is heartbreaking and makes me want to jump ship to a different vendor.

EDIT: Sorry, clarifying a bit: obviously Invision should make money. But this feels like Invision does not care about small-time customers anymore. Small-time customers willed this platform into existence. That departure saddens me. I cannot pay $1,000+ a month, but I can drop, say, $50 or $100 a month... Yet I miss out on features if I do that with Community in the Cloud. Hence, only self-hosted seems to make sense for my use case...

Edited by Hunter Lyons

The Cloud platform is priced how many other SaaS platforms (and businesses) price their feature sets - the more you pay the more functionality you get. Our middle-tier, Creator Pro package, actually has everything that is available to a self-hosted customer, which is below the 90% line 😉 . Keep in mind that our platform is not just software, it comes with an Enterprise-level cloud infrastructure behind it, that anyone, even the Beginner package individuals, are benefiting from. The Beginner package itself, is very much that appeal to give the best worlds to simple communities.

13 minutes ago, Hunter Lyons said:

I cannot pay $1,000+ a month, but I can drop, say, $50 or $100 a month... Yet I miss out on features if I do that with Community in the Cloud. Hence, only self-hosted seems to make sense for my use case...

While you may be sourcing your $1,000 / month here satirically, I will point out that none of our retail packages cost that much. 

$50 or $100 a month would qualify for our Beginner or Creator packages. Which the Creator package, really has everything a self-hosted license has except for Pages Databases. Not knowing your site, I can't say whether or not that is worth the move.