Maintenance Tasks Not Running

Go to solution Solved by CheersnGears,

I have been trying to get rid of this pesky error for a while now... I have a server running Plesk, I have created a cron job doing exactly what it says:

/opt/plesk/php/8.0/bin/php -d memory_limit=-1 -d max_execution_time=0 /mnt/raid/kevswoodworks.com/forum.kevswoodworks.com/public_html/applications/core/interface/task/task.php 63857b871abd49cbc101d2bbe81c4b77

now if I say to run with traffic, it still gives me this notice at the top... I have switched it to the cron job and scheduled the cron job in plesk as:
/opt/plesk/php/8.0/bin/php -d memory_limit=-1 -d max_execution_time=0 /mnt/raid/kevswoodworks.com/forum.kevswoodworks.com/public_html/applications/core/interface/task/task.php 63857b871abd49cbc101d2bbe81c4b77
it is running every minute with 0 errors, what am I doing wrong here? there are no system errors in the error log, I can't see anything actually breaking currently. does anyone have any recommendations?

55 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

@Cshort if the PHP version running the site doesn't match the PHP version running in Cron, you'll continue to get this error.

I am running 8.0.29, do I have to change it to match the version exactly?

5 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

is the task file itself executable by the system? I realise you mention there is no error showing, but its also not doing anything, so on that basis I suspect its not getting as far as something throwing errors

The cron job is running as root, so I believe it would have access.

2 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

It should be fine. I'd be surprised if you had multiple 8.0.x versions running on the same server.

so that is most likely not the issue then?

1 minute ago, Cshort said:

I am going to try and update it to match the specific version of 8 see if that does it?

2 minutes ago, Cshort said:

I am going to try and update it to match the specific version of 8 see if that does it?

nope when I change it to the specific version the cron job fails.

12 hours ago, CheersnGears said:

How did you change it to the specific version?

I changed it to the specific version by doing this:
/opt/plesk/php/8.0.29/bin/php -d memory_limit=-1 -d max_execution_time=0 /mnt/raid/kevswoodworks.com/forum.kevswoodworks.com/public_html/applications/core/interface/task/task.php 63857b871abd49cbc101d2bbe81c4b77

makes sense it failed as that is not a directory.

Do I need to change the account running the cron? It is currently:

server (user:root)

Do I need to change it to what other crons are running on the server for the other sites?

server (user:psaadm)

Edited by Cshort
Adding additional Info

1 hour ago, Cshort said:

I changed it to the specific version by doing this:
/opt/plesk/php/8.0.29/bin/php -d memory_limit=-1 -d max_execution_time=0 /mnt/raid/kevswoodworks.com/forum.kevswoodworks.com/public_html/applications/core/interface/task/task.php 63857b871abd49cbc101d2bbe81c4b77

makes sense it failed as that is not a directory.

Do I need to change the account running the cron? It is currently:

server (user:root)

Do I need to change it to what other crons are running on the server for the other sites?

server (user:psaadm)

My apologies guys, I just took the whole thing as if it were one command, if I had actually analyzed what it was doing, I would have realized, this needs to be php script execution, with the parameter 63857b871abd49cbc101d2bbe81c4b77... I changed it to this. will post tomorrow if this fixes the issue.

22 hours ago, Cshort said:

My apologies guys, I just took the whole thing as if it were one command, if I had actually analyzed what it was doing, I would have realized, this needs to be php script execution, with the parameter 63857b871abd49cbc101d2bbe81c4b77... I changed it to this. will post tomorrow if this fixes the issue.

this was it, come back today, no errors.

it is back... I am at a loss, it is running every minute. if I tell it to run with traffic the error comes back, this error will not go away.

the only thing that I can see under tasks that is not running on time, is the autoDeleteMsg task, last ran in 2022... however... I feel like this was from a plugin from a while back that has since been removed

3 minutes ago, Cshort said:

it is back... I am at a loss, it is running every minute. if I tell it to run with traffic the error comes back, this error will not go away.

the only thing that I can see under tasks that is not running on time, is the autoDeleteMsg task, last ran in 2022... however... I feel like this was from a plugin from a while back that has since been removed

this autoDeleteMsg does not have application or system labeled.

Edited by Cshort
Adding additional Info

3 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Sorry, could you please clarify, this is happening when you switch back to running with traffic only, or regardless?

this error appears regardless, that is why I wanted to try switching to a cron job.

9 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

You do have one recommended item showing within the support area for curl. I would advise on updating that first of all, in case its this causing you issues

it should be enabled... the only curl that is in use has it enabled.

Could contain: Page, Text, Number, Symbol

On 8/15/2023 at 12:59 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

You need to ensure it's the version stated in your admin CP rather than just making sure its switched on. If you are unsure on this, you would need to contact your hosting provider for assistance

I have verified that curl is enabled and working for the version specified in the admin cp, it is version 8.0.30 and I have verified via cmd it is enabled and other sites are using that curl extension just fine. I tell the forum to check again I get the same error.

1 minute ago, Cshort said:

I have verified that curl is enabled and working for the version specified in the admin cp, it is version 8.0.30 and I have verified via cmd it is enabled and other sites are using that curl extension just fine. I tell the forum to check again I get the same error.

I built the server and configured the firewall, I built it all. installed plesk. installed invision, we have gone through a couple versions of linux and this error does not go away currently.

6 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

If you click on PHP info on the right of the support area, and search for CURL, you will see thats not the case. At present its 7.29 you are running on that PHP version

I will have to see how I can change that because php itself says that nothing is using 7.29. I have it enabled but for some reason invision is choosing to use it even though the site itself is using 8.0.3.

8 minutes ago, Cshort said:

I will have to see how I can change that because php itself says that nothing is using 7.29. I have it enabled but for some reason invision is choosing to use it even though the site itself is using 8.0.3.

nevermind, even though php 8.0.3 is installed centos7 which is the latest lts version of the os, and ubuntu 18 only supports up to 7.29, so I have to go to a non lts version to use a version of curl you guys support?

• Solution
1 hour ago, Cshort said:

nevermind, even though php 8.0.3 is installed centos7 which is the latest lts version of the os, and ubuntu 18 only supports up to 7.29, so I have to go to a non lts version to use a version of curl you guys support?

If you're on Ubuntu 18 LTS, your server went out of support in May 2023. CentOS7 is also on the chopping block, you'll want to see if an uplift to Alma is possible on your system, however, I recommend a fresh install of Alma on a new server as the cleanest option.

Edited by CheersnGears

7 hours ago, CheersnGears said:

If you're on Ubuntu 18 LTS, your server went out of support in May 2023. CentOS7 is also on the chopping block, you'll want to see if an uplift to Alma is possible on your system, however, I recommend a fresh install of Alma on a new server as the cleanest option.

I will need to do this anyway as I need to add configuration for clustering. With HA setup, Day job is software developer... but I took this job on for my father who does not like others hosting his data. not my best decision.