Inline Replies to Quotes

Como

If there is way to split up a quote to respond to specific points, I have failed to discover it. So, is there a way to split up a quote block?

Of course, I can quote a series of extracts, but that's less than convenient when the quote is long and I wish to make a lot of inline comments.

Is there a trick I am missing with the editor?

Thanks.

Just now, Como said:

If there is way to split up a quote to respond to specific points, I have failed to discover it. So, is there a way to split up a quote block?

Yes. Put the cursor where you want and hit Enter a few times. It will split it in two. It may be weird in mobile devices. It doesn’t work all the time with me.

Could contain: Text, File, Page

11 minutes ago, Como said:

there is way to split up a quote to respond to specific points, I have failed to discover it. So, is there a way to split up a quote block?

If it is an existing quote block then on desktop/laptop you can select the block and copy/paste it ..then edit the contents to remove irrelevant text in both boxes.

Edited by Nathan Explosion

22 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Yes. Put the cursor where you want and hit Enter a few times. It will split it in two. It may be weird in mobile devices. It doesn’t work all the time with me.

I've tried that several times (desktop). All it does is add returns within the quote. I'll try again. Thanks.

15 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Could contain: Text, File, Page

If it is an existing quote block then on desktop/laptop you can select the block and copy/paste it ..then edit the contents to remove irrelevant text in both boxes.

I don't follow. If I quote the whole post, is there away to then split up the quote so that I can add inline comments? IF the quoted post is long, it less than convenient to determine exactly where I wish to split up the quote, and the copy each section to my reply.

14 minutes ago, Como said:

I've tried that several times (desktop). All it does is add returns within the quote. 

Place the cursor at the end of the paragraph you want to break and not at the start of the next paragraph. See:

— removed —

I will remove the video in a few minutes. 28mb. 🥴

Edited by Adriano Faria

4 minutes ago, Como said:

I've tried that several times (desktop). All it does is add returns within the quote. I'll try again. Thanks.

I don't follow. If I quote the whole post, is there away to then split up the quote so that I can add inline comments? IF the quoted post is long, it less than convenient to determine exactly where I wish to split up the quote, and the copy each section to my reply.

Yes - click that:

Could contain: Page, Text

Press Ctrl + C/Ctrl + V...then edit away on the now 2 quote boxes.

Yep. Works with Edge. It is a Firefox bug. I've tried numerous times with FF, even holding down all manner of extra keys. Nothing. It just adds returns to the quote (or posts it, if I am holding down the Ctrl key).

6 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Place the cursor at the end of the paragraph you want to break and not at the start of the next paragraph. See:

I will remove the video in a few minutes. 28mb. 🥴

Thank you for the detailed reply and video - much appreciated!

I do place my cursor at the end of the paragraph where I wish to create a break - it does not work when using FIREFOX. But I've found that it works perfectly well using Edge. I guess I'll switch.

13 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Yes - click that:

Could contain: Page, Text

Press Ctrl + C/Ctrl + V...then edit away on the now 2 quote boxes.

If you are suggesting that I quote the whole post twice, or quote individual sections of the original, they are two things I am trying to avoid. Like I said, it works as expected with Edge. So I'll use that instead. But thank you for trying to help me. Appreciated.